• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to put on a slippery shelf..... ?

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for the rubbish title. :oops::lol:

I've got a spare shelf from an IKEA storage unit that OH is going to turn into a table for the bunny shed by adding 2x2 battens for legs. The shelf's got a bit of a sheen to it so I'm worried it'll be a little bit slippy when they jump up on to it. Any ideas what I could put on top?

I've thought of blankets, but they'll just get dug up, moved about etc. I was wondering about the anti-slip tape you can get for stairs but would that be a bit too abrasive? I'm going to pop over IKEA and have a feel of the tape :lol: but any other suggestions welcome. :D

Thank you. I hadn't thought of foam mats but I'm wondering if they'd chew the edges as they'll be exposed. :? Only one way to find out I guess. :lol: Carpet tiles would be good ordinarily :D but I forgot to mention that Alfie has problems with a sore hock due to a past injury so I'm worried carpet might be too abrasive and make it worse. Keep 'em coming though. :D

Vetbed?

Just saw about his sore hocks. I found vetbed covered in something soft like fleece or cotton sheets worked well. I would just tuck it round and underneath or if it's the right size put it inside a pillow case.

Thanks, I think I'll look into vet bed, or I might have some grass mats somewhere stashed away if I can just remember where I put them. :oops::lol:

I found just plain vet bed made Mini's sore hock worse but with cotton sheets over it made it soft and springy which really helped.

Thanks Elena. Alfie's hock has been doing really well so I'm just wary of doing anything now to make it worse. I'm going to measure up the shelf later and am thinking of a piece of vet bed inside a pillowcase as that'll be easier to contain, with a grass mat to the side if there's room. I'll probably still put the anti-slip tape on too as that'll hopefully help keep the whole lot in place. :lol:

Sounds like a good idea, you'll probably find hay easier to brush off a pillowcase as well. ;)

if you chip at the edges i'm pretty sure ikea stuff is just covered with a layer of the finish and you should be able to peel the lot away, then sand it down to leave the natural wood. :D

Back