• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Air fresheners

lovelybun

Warren Scout
Hi so today my brother went into my room and said it 'smells' like rabbits. he grabbed the air freshener and started spraying alot:evil: my bunnies were running around the room and chris ran right under where he was spraying. I am so worried they will get sick and die.
My brother is very hard to get along lately and constantly does stuff that annoys me.:roll: Will this hurt my rabbits? I opened the window and aired out the whole room.

It certainly wont have done them any favours but hopefully there wont be any longterm damage now that the area has been well ventilated. But if the Rabbits display any respiratory symptoms such as ongoing sneezing episodes or an increased respiratory rate/effort or if the show any signs of gut slow down (reduced poo output/eating) then immediate Veterinary attention is essential.

Can you not lock your door when you are not in your room so your Brother cant get in there ?

I aggree completely with Jack's Jane that there's very unlikely to be any adverse effect from a one off spray on well rabbits.
There's also the matter that you sleep in that room & air "freshener" isn't very good for us either. A lock on the door seems like a good idea.

It's ok if it's one of those neutralising odours without masking type of sprays. The parfume types like lavander are not good for rabbits. If you have trouble with the smells get a air purifier that removes bad odours.

I get the pet friendly air freshners which aren't sprays they are just blocks. You can order online.

Back