• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Carpet damage

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!! Beau has once again made a hole in the carpet in a rented property. He did it in our second to last house and we had to pay to have the carpet replaced! We'd only been there 6 months and the carpet was brand new when we moved in! He didn't do it at all in our last house. Now, we've been in this house a month and he's been plucking at the carpet, but made no real damage, then today I've discovered a whole patch that he's balded!

2 questions. 1) We have found a company called Carpet Doctor who claim to be able to fix damage like this. Has anyone used them before. 2) Any one got any suggestions for how to stop him doing this?

Thanks!!

Cover with lino? Once you see him start digging cover with an offcut? Distraction tactics? Mine are on lino and before that never took an interest in carpet so those are the only suggestions I can offer.

Well I blocked off areas, it just meant different areas of carpet got damaged. You could try just covering all carpet with something, rugs/mats/blankets/lino. But likely to get moved if cannot be fastened down. In my experience there is no way to stop a determined bunny from digging/pulling up carpet though!

I found with Strawbs that once he had decided to destroy something there was nothing I could do to stop him. When we moved he had to go outside.

Mr B has never even tried to chew the carpet, the only thing he nibbles is cables.

I think some buns just have a more destructive nature, I doubt there is much you can do about it to be honest.

I prob wouldnt bother paying anything for the carpet until you are ready to move on, and even then maybe wait and see if they notice.

Our rented place Strawbs ate most of the carpet in the spare room, the bottoms of all the oak doors, the skirting boards, the PVC window sills and they didn't notice at all! We got all our deposit back!

Everywhere is carpet apart from the kitchen, which is tiles, and he won't go on tiles, so...

His pen is on rugs to protect the carpet, but we can't get rugs to cover the whole house. So it looks like he'll have to be confined to his pen. :(

Everywhere is carpet apart from the kitchen, which is tiles, and he won't go on tiles, so...

His pen is on rugs to protect the carpet, but we can't get rugs to cover the whole house. So it looks like he'll have to be confined to his pen. :(

Mr B won't go on the tiles or lino either! We have to put a piece of carpet down in the utility for him!

Does he have access to the whole house all the time or only when you are home?

Mr B won't go on the tiles or lino either! We have to put a piece of carpet down in the utility for him!

Does he have access to the whole house all the time or only when you are home?

He is shut up in his pen while we are at work and only has free range of the living room when we are home.

I can't believe Strawbs left all that damage and you got all your money back! We have had some awful landlords though. Like the one where we replaced the carpet, she wasn't happy that it wasn't an exact match, so charged us to have it replaced, when we'd literally just paid for it to be replaced!

Could you lino a room for him (over the carpet) or ask your landlord if you could (seeing as you will have to get carpet replaced/fixed anyway)? Get some lino and carpet off cuts from a carpet shop to cover areas?

I would find out about fixing carpet first - they may say that it is too far gone to fix, in which case no point fixing/replacing yet - just wait until you move out, and then Beau may as well stay on it until then?

As he's only out when someone is home, could you buy some cheap rugs/mats/lino to cover the carpet while he's out? Then you can keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't move them about to get to the carpet underneath.

Before Hopscotch moved into the extension (which is lino with some carpet offcuts for him to enjoy :roll:), the living room carpet was covered in tarpaulin, blankets and rugs when he was out because he was a nightmare with digging/pulling carpet.

When I had a bun do this, I ended up putting ceramic tiles on the vulnerable areas. It looked really stupid, but she never did it again. I didn't ever get the carpet fixed though - I still can't believe I sold the house like it and it was rented straight back out again without changing the flooring.

We could get a rug. I am so annoyed at OH, we had a perfectly good rug and he took it to the tip, because it had been sat in the garage for over a year.

I was really looking for ideas like something to spray on the carpet, but I guess there isn't anything or someone would have suggested it.

We didn't get cross with him, I know he is just being a rabbit. But still. It's a good job we love 'em, hey?!:roll::love:

My buns have destroyed one corner of my carpet but we'll just say it's always been like that - all the carpets up stairs have been cut with a blunt knife and look similar tbh :lol:

My buns have destroyed one corner of my carpet but we'll just say it's always been like that - all the carpets up stairs have been cut with a blunt knife and look similar tbh :lol:

See this is right in the middle of a brand new carpet. Little...monkey!:evil::lol:

To a rabbit with wild tendencies, carpet feels and acts very much like a deeply weedy soil area, so digging into it is 100% natural - trying to stop it is unlikely to work.

Biscuit is one such bunny. If carpet is there, he WILL dig at it and its almost always in corners, but not limited to. The only thing we did to minimise the damage was put carpet tiles in the corners of the rooms he had access to, he'd dig at them and pull them away to get at the carpet, but it minimised the damage at least. What i'm trying to say is, you won't stop it, even minimising the damage may not work, each bunny is different.

Never heard of carpet repair people, sounds like they'd likely patch it up, but can't see it looking good to be honest.

To a rabbit with wild tendencies, carpet feels and acts very much like a deeply weedy soil area, so digging into it is 100% natural - trying to stop it is unlikely to work.

Biscuit is one such bunny. If carpet is there, he WILL dig at it and its almost always in corners, but not limited to. The only thing we did to minimise the damage was put carpet tiles in the corners of the rooms he had access to, he'd dig at them and pull them away to get at the carpet, but it minimised the damage at least. What i'm trying to say is, you won't stop it, even minimising the damage may not work, each bunny is different.

Never heard of carpet repair people, sounds like they'd likely patch it up, but can't see it looking good to be honest.

http://carpetsurgeon.co.uk/
http://www.carpetdoctor.co.uk/
Looks pretty goo dto be honest. Don't think they do our area though :(

Perhaps it will help if he's allowed to express his diggy/chewy urges in his pen. Get some cheap carpet samples (carpet places usually chuck loads away) and put one in his pen. Allow him to dig that, and maybe when he's out he will be less inclined to express it on the actual carpet. Alternatively, how about a diggy box? Not sure how well that'll work as he seems to like carpet so he must like nibbling too.

Back