• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor housing for 15yearold blind bun

TickTock

Alpha Buck
Because the weather has gotten rather horrible as of late my Nan finally let me bring in my 15 year old bun. He's used to being an outdoor bunny but because has arthritis, is blind, slightly deaf and becoming horribly thin she finally caved in. I'll be honest and say I'm not sure how much longer he has left :(

I've read all the indoor housing info, but is there anything I should be aware of because of his lack of sight? Should I bring in his old cage as well or put him into a different cage?

Maybe restrict the space until he's comfortable and then gradually increase it so he gets used to the area slowly. And avoid moving things so once he's used to the area it doesn't change. *lily*'s louie is blind I believe and he's gets on ok indoors.

I have no advice as my rabbit has always been indoors. All I can say is cover your wires with the plastic cable covers so they don't get biten and I've also put plastic strips on the corners of my walls as Doughnut likes to nibble the lining paper.

I just wanted to ask what breed the rabbit is. 15 years old is great.

It's nice you're bringing him in in the warm in his old age to keep an eye on him.

I have no advice as my rabbit has always been indoors. All I can say is cover your wires with the plastic cable covers so they don't get biten and I've also put plastic strips on the corners of my walls as Doughnut likes to nibble the lining paper.

I just wanted to ask what breed the rabbit is. 15 years old is great.

It's nice you're bringing him in in the warm in his old age to keep an eye on him.

He's a Lion Head/Mini Rex cross. I have a few photos of him here (because everyone loves photos! :lol: ) http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?343890-15-years-and-still-going-strong! He's starting to look his age though poor fella :(

I think the best thing to do would be to start off with a small space, like a sectioned off area in a room, to help him get used to indoor life and since he is blind he can get used to a new small space easier then a new large space. When he is happy you can gradually increase the size of his enclosure to however big you want or need and it will just help him adjust to his surroundings and learn where everything thing is etc without it all being in one go

Also, when you move him in try to make sure the inside temp is similar to the outside temp. That way he wont get a shock of cold to hot. And put all his toys and stuff in where he will live so he feels more comfortable around his own smell.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the help everyone :) Mr Yug is indoor now and seems a lot happier. Its taken 5 years off him! :lol:

aaah bless him! Im so pleased he can be indoors now...at that age and it becoming winter again...Im sure he will really appreciate it...yeah for Mr Yug!:love: 5 Years off him ..he must be so pleased!:D:love:

I just went to talk to him. He seemed happy but rather confused.:)

Did a rather large binky and then hid until I closed his cage door. Then he came out and hid again until I closed it once more. I'm not sure if he's very happy or rather shy/scared at being indoors.

Back