• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Max - booked in for dental under GA

Jacq

Warren Scout
Max hadn't been himself for a few days. He has been eating but only softer foods and went off his pellets completely. I booked an appointment to have his teeth checked (although he hasn't had any problems in the past). It appears that he does have a spur on one of his back teeth. The vet said it hasn't caused any abrasions as yet and suggested that he has it burred sooner rather than later. I'm happy with her recommendation but just worried about his age (he's 6). He's never been a great hay eater so I guess we've been lucky up to now, though he does get plenty of other forage and greens. The vet has also suggested an x ray while he is under GA to check there are no issues with his teeth such as an abcess which is now worrying me. He's also moulting at the moment as well.
Am I worrying un necessarily.

It is 'normal' to worry when a much loved Bunny needs to have a GA. I have some much older (10ish) Rabbits who have come through a GA just fine. It sounds as though your Vet is being very thorough and I am sure he/she will take good care to make sure that Max's treatment goes well. You may find that the Vet discovers a few more spurs once Max is asleep as it is impossible to get an accurate view of the inside of a Bunny's mouth whilst they are awake.

Lots of vibes being sent for Max :love:

I have dental buns who have had 13 between them and I worry every single time. It just shows how much we care for them.

Hope Max will be fine

I had a dental bun who was 11 when he had his last couple of GA's (he'd had them since the age of 6) and he recovered really well but i was still terrified, I think it's natural when we love them so much :love:

Better to do it now rather than when he's lost weight etc.

Sending love and get well vibes to Max, and a hug to you :)

Thanks everyone. He's going on Monday, which is when this particular vet does surgery. She's explained everything about the procedure, but I'm still worried for him. Bless him, he's never been away from home by himself before :(

Back