• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mesh for runs supply

Neill

Warren Scout
does anyone know of a reasonable priced supplier or source for galvanised mesh for making an aviary sized rabbit run, what guage / size can i go down to
ive currently got a big run , using welded mesh , thats 3mm wire ( 50mm x 50 mm holes ) bought it years ago but its like £50 a panel now

i did wonder using the mesh they use on building site wire fencing if i can get some

im also seeing this on ebay which seems reasonable price but is it up to the job?

$T2eC16F,!w0E9szNW4VFBQShRWQ7FQ~~60_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Welded-wi...t=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item2ec38d2a92

what have you used for your bigger projects ?

I have built a small run before and used 19G wire mesh. That would be the thinnest wire you could use and is still very strong, but 16G would be much more secure although it is quite a bit more expensive. Both would work well though, 19G is a lot easier to use though ;)

Holes should be no bigger than half and inch by one inch and the wire no thinner than 19g. If you have a fox problem I would definitely go up to 16g. I also use eBay but it can be tricky sorting through all the different sizes / guages ettc

It depends on how the buns will be supervised. If you are going to leave them out all the time then you will need to use 1" x 0.5" mesh, either at 19g if you dont have fox issues or 16g if you do. Ours are only out when we are at home as they have a 10' x 10' summer house to play in and we used the 1" x 1" 19g mesh, it is very strong even at 19g.

You will also need to get a pair tin snips as using a wire cutter will take you an age. I speak from experience. :lol: :lol:

It depends on how the buns will be supervised. If you are going to leave them out all the time then you will need to use 1" x 0.5" mesh, either at 19g if you dont have fox issues or 16g if you do. Ours are only out when we are at home as they have a 10' x 10' summer house to play in and we used the 1" x 1" 19g mesh, it is very strong even at 19g.

You will also need to get a pair tin snips as using a wire cutter will take you an age. I speak from experience. :lol: :lol:

many thanks for the good info, 16g it is then.

try using a small angle grinder, the blades are only about £2 and will go through like butter, i mark all my cuts with a perm marker and lay the mesh on the grass and wizz through all the cuts in one hit , takes minutes
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-4-ANG...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item4abbd4191d

:lol: I have an angle grinder aswel. Should of used that, even though it seems like using a sledgehammer to hammer a nail....

Back