• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could something like this be used for pain relief in bunnies?

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
Extract from white willow?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HealthAid-W...DVNS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353361916&sr=8-1

Just doing research to see what my options are with Boris Boo, who's poorly with pasteurella and being refused any treatment by the local vet :cry: (long story, but basically she was our last hope since he's too ill to travel at the moment, she won't do anything to help him at this point :evil:)

What concerns me is the fact that it's made from the actual bark, which I heard has too high a Salicin content? But he'd literally only be having a few drops a day of this stuff? Do you reckon it'd be fine? I've heard of it being used for cats and dogs, but they're different obviously. I wouldn't want to poison the poor lad :(

Thanks.

I wouldn't like to advise to be honest. I'm sorry. We have quite a few very experienced members on our fb page though if you'd like to join i'm sure you'll get your answer on there :)

Willow is to act a bit like Anadin and can give bunnies a buzz. I don't know about the one you are querying but i always give mine willow toys, especially when they have been off colour or for a dental. I personally think it works :)

Yeah, I gave Boris willow twigs and leaves all summer to keep the inflammation in his airways at bay and I do believe it really worked. Mum forgets to get them for him now though so I was thinking something like this extract would be easier for her to give him. Also she'd be able to make sure he actually ate it, if they get actual twigs etc. Bella tends to eat most of them because she's so into chewing things :roll:

It's literally just willow bark and water, so technically it should be ok right? I'm just concerned because I'm sure someone said that the bark wasn't safe for buns :? Can't remember who I heard that from though!

I feel that one of the big problems with herbal meds is that it's very difficult to standardise the dose, which is important in rabbits cos they're so small. I dare not advise you here.

Are you still able to get fresh willow twigs which would help his tummy too?
I'd advise some echinacea to help his immune system.
Ribwort plantain has amazing properties very similar to & easier to obtain than greater plantain leaves, but slightly more anti inflammaory action.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?358396-Forage-and-plant-properties/page3 Benjie devours it.

I'm shocked & gutted that your vet won't even give basic treatment to keep him comfortable eg metacam & bisolvon.:cry:
It may not be possible to see another vet where you are.
Pain relief is so important, & bisolvon to keep the secretions runny markedly reduces the distress of having their nose blocked, cos they can sneeze them out more easily.

ETA Geoff's people has the most experience & knowledge of using plants as treatment on here.

Hi there,

I'd be a bit careful with it - simply because there's no suggested dose for bunnies on most herbal medicines.

If your vet is out of ideas have you considered another vet getting involved?
If no bunny experts/savvy vets locally my vets (who are superb) in Swindon do telephone consults and despite being based at a referral centre will deal directly with owners - http://www.gwexotics.com/

I've not sen Boris Boo's history but has your vet already tried a few different anti biotics?

I hope you find something that can help,

Steve

Extract from white willow?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HealthAid-W...DVNS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353361916&sr=8-1

Just doing research to see what my options are with Boris Boo, who's poorly with pasteurella and being refused any treatment by the local vet :cry: (long story, but basically she was our last hope since he's too ill to travel at the moment, she won't do anything to help him at this point :evil:)

What concerns me is the fact that it's made from the actual bark, which I heard has too high a Salicin content? But he'd literally only be having a few drops a day of this stuff? Do you reckon it'd be fine? I've heard of it being used for cats and dogs, but they're different obviously. I wouldn't want to poison the poor lad :(

Thanks.

Back