• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Autumn leaf fall warning (fruit trees)

prettylupin

Wise Old Thumper
Just a little warning now that the leaves have properly started to drop and the wind is bringing many down today.

Have spent weekend cleaning up a mucky bum on Poppy, two bottom washes in one day... looks like another needed today:cry: despite being kept in all day yesterday. Stupidly we know this happens every year but didn't rake the lawn soon enough. Pops lives on apple leaves - fresh, dried, fallen etc... however, suddenly when they go yellow and brown the sugars/starches in the leaf that cause the colour change also cause massive caecal upset for her (much as Spring grass would)... her tummy is a bit of a mess and she has been a little quiet as a result these last few days. Scrumping season isn't just the apples... but the leaves too so beware! :wave:

mine all eat these with no issues - although its true the chemistry of the leaf changes I havnt encountered this issue with buns before. The apples obviously - but not the leaves. Could it just be she is eating so MANY of them ?

mine all eat these with no issues - although its true the chemistry of the leaf changes I havnt encountered this issue with buns before. The apples obviously - but not the leaves. Could it just be she is eating so MANY of them ?

I guess it they're sweeter to taste she's going to go for them more anyway?

It happens every year - she is PARTICULARLY sensitive caecum wise so I guess this is a warning more for the rabbits with a predisposition to caecal dysbiosis. That said, yes, she scoffs as many as she can in one go. It is just her and a large apple tree - no sharing or rationing required ;):wave:

luckily we don;t have much of a problem with lots of tree leaves, my nans garden does though as she has a huge sycamore and i mean huge, prob biggest ive seen :lol:

id also warn of berries which may now be on some shrubs, it cottoneasters, hollies etc, that may get eaten as cottoneasters in particular drop there leaves so have lots of red berries, however with mine being house rabbits they dont get to them, the birds love them though

I have tons of red cherry leaves falling into my garden from next door - not sure if the leaves are safe or not, but there are so many to clear up!

Back