• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

after cleaning out....

Peterbunny

Mama Doe
Where do you put all the dirty hay / straw etc?

I bag it up and leave in a corner of the garden but after a week we have a very big bin bag full which we have to try and squeeze into the wheelie bin!

How do you dispose of yours???

I did wonder about creating a "heap" somewhere, would it all just disintagrate? All I'm trying to dispose of is soggy newspaper, hay and straw (and obv mountains of poo!!). Am I leaving myself open to vermin by doing that???

Thanks

I put mine in garden bags and we take it to the skip for the garden waste whenever we get a chance. No collection for my street unfortunately but at least the regulations at our skip allow us to dump it there.

When I clean them out I take their box and empty the hay and poops into a big seperate box and the newspaper goes in a black bin bag. The box gets emptied on the compost heap and the blackbag goes out for the dust men every other week.

Oh I drop bits of hay everywhere, the hedgehogs use that to make nests (or whatever hedgehogs live in).

I put mine in garden bags and we take it to the skip for the garden waste whenever we get a chance. No collection for my street unfortunately but at least the regulations at our skip allow us to dump it there.

Ooh I didnt realise it could maybe be classed as garden rubbish?! We have just applied to get a garden rubbish bag, with fortnightly collections, so hopefully I could get away with putting it in there!

We really struggle to fit it all in our grey wheelie bin!

Ooh I didnt realise it could maybe be classed as garden rubbish?! We have just applied to get a garden rubbish bag, with fortnightly collections, so hopefully I could get away with putting it in there!

We really struggle to fit it all in our grey wheelie bin!

you'll need to check with your council whether they accept it. Ours says waste from non-meating animals is fine, but some just says no animal waste.

Compost bin, its fantastic!

But our compost bin is full (and we're scared of it, incase theres rats living in it) so we just stick it in the household waste (we dont have a garden waste bin as our garden waste just get chucked over the fence for the badgers and friend to use - but cant do that with rabbit waste, dont wanna attract attention from the foxes)

I empty the while litter tray (megazorb and hay plus obv poo) into the brown garden bin Which I have two of as I bought an extra one...they go out for collection every other thursday :) I just phoned the council and I can take some bagged to the tip aswell as now im using tonned more hay for warmth I can fill one bin in a couple of days! :?

Our Council won't take animal waste & bedding as garden waste. So it all just goes in a black bin liner and in the normal bin, as the compost bin is full. Fortunately it is only 1 black bin bag full a week so there is always room for it.

Compost bin, its fantastic!

But our compost bin is full (and we're scared of it, incase theres rats living in it) so we just stick it in the household waste (we dont have a garden waste bin as our garden waste just get chucked over the fence for the badgers and friend to use - but cant do that with rabbit waste, dont wanna attract attention from the foxes)

Yeah that's why we don't use it in our home compost bin (besides the fact it wouldn't fit!) which we only use for food peelings.

We have a space at the back of the garage that I have commandered as compost space. All the grass cuttings and leaves from the trees go behind there.

It never seems to get full so it rots down very quick.

pants, I've just checked our council website and it says nothing about animal waste :cry: only takes grass, weeds, twigs, fruit windfall, flowers. Ah well.....!

Back to ramming it into a already full wheelie bin it is then!

Large open compost bin (in small city garden!) for garden and rabbit waste (no actual rabbit feed given so no rat risk). Human kitchen waste goes in a lidded compost bin on hard standing. :wave:

pants, I've just checked our council website and it says nothing about animal waste :cry: only takes grass, weeds, twigs, fruit windfall, flowers. Ah well.....!

Back to ramming it into a already full wheelie bin it is then!

It might be worth asking anyway. :wave:

Back