• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Swollen front paw.

redrhum

Young Bun
Hello-

My mini rex Ivy has been a poorly girl recently.
Last weekend I rushed her to the emergency vets when she hadnt eaten for 24hours. They kept her in for 2 nights and once she was feeding and pooing again I picked her up Tuesday night.
Once home I let her settle in the hay box for an hour then went to feed the evenings pellets.
She came straight over and ate a little but not much and it was then I noticed she was limping and non weight bearing on her front left paw.
i phoned the vets and they said to come tomorrow and pick up pain relief and syringe feed in case she lost her appetite completly again.
By the morning she was much better and was jumping on the bed and licking me as usual. I tried to get a feel of the leg but she just pulled away. I feel guilty now cause I should ve properly examined it but I didn't want to stress her when she'd already been stressed at the vet visit.
I also had to go away for the weekend. I told my petsitter to keep an eye and take her to the emergency vets if she stopped eating or appeared in pain. I couldnt get an appointment at my usual vets until today.
I took her in and they ve kept her as her leg is really swollen today and on closer inspetion has what looks like a big abcess. They are going to make an incision and see if it drains but the vet said it didnt look good.
I was wondering if anyones rabbit has lost a leg from this and what could ve caused it in the first place? She is an indoor rabbit with free run of the flat she shares with me and her husbun, Dexter. Sorry for lengthy post just wanted to share all the details.

How did you get on at the vets?? Abscesses are nasty but can be treated, especially if they are caught quickly. My Inca has had a fair few on her back feet / toes and I have managed to treat them all ok.

Its not ringworm is it? pink and swollen? that's what caused my bunny to limp. It took a lot of time and a lot of money to diagnose it as ringworm so now 'ringworm' is my answer to every problem going.

Back