• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Extra myxi jabs

LittleJo

Young Bun
Hi,

Both my bunnies had their yearly myxi jabs in April.
I have heard of a lot of pet bunnies where I live have recently died because of Myxi.
I have spoken to my vet, and they said the only thing I can do is bring them in for another jab.
I've been thinking about it all weekend, and can't decide what to do for the best.
I know that most of the pet bunnies that have died, didn't have myxi jabs.
My bunnies are very safe, and at night are put back in their hutch which is on our patio.

I do't know what to do, am I just panicking???

Jo

Hi, I can't help you decide, it's got to be your decision! There's a lot of myxi where I am and I'm satisfied that the yearly one is good enough if the vets say it is though- but that's just my personal decision!

I just wanted to say it won't make any difference whether or not the buns are put back at night, the risks of catching myxi are the same. Your buns could get contact during the day or even on your shoes etc.

*Edit* I am assuming you meant the year-long combined one!

Last edited:
When you say yearly do you mean the single or the dual vaccine? The single one only provides six months of immunity. The dual one covers myxi and VHD and provides a year of immunity but that only came on the market around April so unless you have a very up to date vet I doubt they would've had that one.

I don't want to alarm you but personally if it was the single I'd take them to have the dual vaccine as soon as you can as the single will mean their current immunity will be reducing

What vaccination did they have in April? Was it Nobivac Myxo-RHD or Nobivac Myxo?

The former is given annually, however, the latter should be given every 6 months anyway.

Myxomatosis is transmitted via flies and fleas so can be contracted in a variety of ways, even if the most well looked after bunnies.

There are two types of myxomatosis vaccine in operation at present:

One (the myxi only vaccine) is recommended as given every six months - it will not sufficient provide protection after six months.

The other (a new vaccne just out) is a combination of Myxo and VHD vaccine and lasts 12 months for both illnesses.

If you vet has used the older type of vaccine they should definitely be advising you to have it every SIX MONTHS.

I am guessing here but it sounds as though you may have a vet that is not terribly well up on bunny medicines and is still using the old vaccine with poor information (otherwise they would be confident in telling you the new vaccine lasts 12 months - besides which it was only introduced this Apri/May so unlikely to be the new one).

May I suggest you

1. Ring the vet to find out which vaccine it was

2. If it was the old vaccine and they have told you only every 12 months then CHANGE VET to a more up to date vet!!! (unless it is the receptionist who is giving out faulty advice)

3. and if it was the old vaccine get the buns vacconated ASAP with either a booster or the new vaccine (are they vaccinated against VHD?)

Hi, I can't help you decide, it's got to be your decision! There's a lot of myxi where I am and I'm satisfied that the yearly one is good enough if the vets say it is though- but that's just my personal decision!

I just wanted to say it won't make any difference whether or not the buns are put back at night, the risks of catching myxi are the same. Your buns could get contact during the day or even on your shoes etc.

I always thought the one jab would be enough, but now the vet has said they can have another one, I'm wondering whether it would make any difference.
I know it doesn't make any difference where they are at night, but my vet asked me where I kept them at night, so just thoguht it would be a bit more info :)

There are two types of myxomatosis vaccine in operation at present:

One (the myxi only vaccine) is recommended as given every six months - it will not sufficient provide protection after six months.

The other (a new vaccne just out) is a combination of Myxo and VHD vaccine and lasts 12 months for both illnesses.

If you vet has used the older type of vaccine they should definitely be advising you to have it every SIX MONTHS.

I am guessing here but it sounds as though you may have a vet that is not terribly well up on bunny medicines and is still using the old vaccine with poor information (otherwise they would be confident in telling you the new vaccine lasts 12 months - besides which it was only introduced this Apri/May so unlikely to be the new one).

May I suggest you

1. Ring the vet to find out which vaccine it was

2. If it was the old vaccine and they have told you only every 12 months then CHANGE VET to a more up to date vet!!! (unless it is the receptionist who is giving out faulty advice)

3. and if it was the old vaccine get the buns vacconated ASAP with either a booster or the new vaccine (are they vaccinated against VHD?)

Thank you.
They had their jab back in April, and the vet told us then that it was a new combination one, and my bunnies were the first in his surgery to have it.
Last and the year before, they had the 6 monthly myxi jabs, they weren't vaccinated against VHD as the vet said because of the area we live in, they weren't at high risk from it. They now have the new jab, which should vaccinate them against VHD too.

Thank you.
They had their jab back in April, and the vet told us then that it was a new combination one, and my bunnies were the first in his surgery to have it.
Last and the year before, they had the 6 monthly myxi jabs, they weren't vaccinated against VHD as the vet said because of the area we live in, they weren't at high risk from it. They now have the new jab, which should vaccinate them against VHD too.

If you check their vaccination records and are 100% sure that they had the combi then (according to the manufacturers) there will be no need for another vaccination for 12 months:D

Back