• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

brown puddle in hutch - U/D post no. 5 she's fine

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, just been to 'tuck up' my outdoor bunnies for bed and I noticed a brown puddle on the floor of the hutch with an ordinary poop in the midst. There's also muddy brown footprints upstairs. Caught both bunnies and checked their rear ends; Coco had a droplet of brown water coming from her butt.

Phoned the emergency vet who said that if she's okay and lively in herself (which she does seem okay) then it's not an emergency at the moment. She did advise not to give fruit to rabbits AT ALL though - but they've been eating the stuff on and off for 18 months and have been fine (unless she ate some windfall apple tonight and we simply didn't notice).

What's the chance she'll just sleep it off as I'm worried now. I can't disrupt them at this hour to bring them in as it's just too warm in the house compared to outside and if I open windows then that's just a draught which won't help.

Anyone else had experience of just one puddle and then the bun's fine? Just looking for reassurance tbh.

She did advise to split the buns up in case it's infectious but hubby and I have decided against because a) chances are Thumper has already been exposed/got it anyway and b) they've never been separated in almost 2 years and I know bunnies' bonds are fragile at the best of times and c) we think it would stress them both out and possibly make Coco worse anyway.

edit - forgot to say she's eaten pellets and some hay and had a tiny drink while I was with her after I discovered the puddle and after I phoned the vet.

Last edited:
My rabbits wee changes colour depending on what they eat, green veg makes it go red, carrots and apples make it go brown, they do wee and poo at the same time so i get poo in a puddle.

My rabbits wee changes colour depending on what they eat, green veg makes it go red, carrots and apples make it go brown, they do wee and poo at the same time so i get poo in a puddle.

Thank you - that is reassuring :) I guess it could have been a 'just done' wee which hadn't had time to soak into the newspaper although it would be out of character as it wasn't in the litter tray. Accidents happen though, so hopefully that's what's happened and she's just trying to scare me. (she succeeded!)

Will post tomorrow with an update; fingers crossed!

Morning!

Checked the bunnies this morning, as normal, and no more muddy puddles and Coco's bouncing around as normal too (not that that had changed anyway). So it would appear she is over whatever it was :thumb:

One of life's little mysteries!

Back