• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can you...

charlieekins

Young Bun
Find out the type of rabbit you have. We got our first wee rabbit from a friend as she could no longer have her but I want to know what breed she is. Is there anyway to find out apart from googling and trying to guess out of a long list?
Thanks!

If you can post a photo and her weight then we can have a go but there is no definitive way. Is there a particular reason you want/need to know besides interest sake?

Yeah I would just like to know out of interest! That would be good if you can, this is what she looks like, I'm not sure about her weight though

image.jpg

I reckon an exceptionally overweight hotot. Or a very charlie cross breed (Charlie being the markings). Maybe thinking a Charlie.

Thanks! I got her like this so will I need to cut her food down?

Rabbits diets should be 90% hay and pellets should be thought of as a treat :D It depends on the rabbit, but I feed my pair a handful between them a night :) the rest of the time they have hay and herbs occasionally. Things like carrot and banana are full of sugar and should only be fed as a treat.

If you want to start cutting food down do it slowly as buns have very sensitive tums :wave:

Be sure to have hay out 24/7. They can't eat too much hay. I reckon you're feeding too much pellets (unless you've been giving a lot of sugary fruit/veg?) so you'll want to slowly reduce to about a handful of pellets once a day.

She gets a handful of pellets and sometimes a wee chew stick. We give her broccoli and hay and fresh water. We have her in the cage at night and my partner has her out during the day and when im home at night from work shes out. So she's out alot In our livingroom which is pretty big! I've only had her for 2 weeks.

She gets a handful of pellets and sometimes a wee chew stick. We give her broccoli and hay and fresh water. We have her in the cage at night and my partner has her out during the day and when im home at night from work shes out. So she's out alot In our livingroom which is pretty big! I've only had her for 2 weeks.

Cool.

It would be worthwhile gradually reducing her pellets down until she is maybe getting just a pinch. I would also encourage you to not use a bowl but to either have them in a treat ball or scatter or hide them around so that she has to work for them. Also, hiding bits of other foods she likes around the living room would be worthwhile too to get her moving more. We had a fat girlie and I introudced her slowly to basil and mint, both of which are pungent, and she used to bounce about like a ball all over the place looking for them and when she found them she could eat them which was a reward, but really she had been doing a lot of exercise.

You might also want to have a read of the articles on my website (the link is in my sig- it's Flash's Place)- the articles on there are designed for new owners and they were originally written through need of the people I was working with who were adopting rabbits from where I volunteered. They can be found under 'Rabbit Care Information' (or similar- can't remember the exact section title).

She's a lucky girl that she's probably got a new lease of life and a chance for a happier, longer life. Obesity is a killer and it's important to help her slowly lose the weight for her health. Any questions then please don't hesitate to ask :)

Thank you so much for the advice!! I'm glad i know where I'm kinda going now. I'll have a look at the articles.
Thanks again. :D

Back