• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How big would you say is a 'small bale'?

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
Weight-wise, too? I've found a local place that sells 'small bales' of straw and hay, just wondering how big a 'small bale' would be to judge whether it's a good price or not. :oops:

We buy a 'small bale' from our local farm every month and they are about 90cm x 50cm x 30cm and weigh aroung 10kgs.

This is a lot of hay, we give them loads and then just chuck it in the garden waste bin once they have finished and then give them some more. It is so cheap they can have as much as they want. :D

We buy a 'small bale' from our local farm every month and they are about 90cm x 50cm x 30cm and weigh aroung 10kgs.

This is a lot of hay, we give them loads and then just chuck it in the garden waste bin once they have finished and then give them some more. It is so cheap they can have as much as they want. :D

Thanks :D We normally buy the 9.5kg bags from Hay for Pets, and although my buns like it, these bales are much cheaper... so I'm wondering if it'd be worth a try. :oops:

Small bales of hay only called small bales as opposed to round bales or hestons,
They will be rather heavy the one ive just bought at a guess Id say is about 25-30kg

a small bale I normally buy is about 4' X 18" X 18" and is small because the next size up is a large round bale about 5' in diameter.

They will be rather heavy the one ive just bought at a guess Id say is about 25-30kg
I would say this is a good guess at weight.

a small bale I normally buy is about 4' X 18" X 18" and is small because the next size up is a large round bale about 5' in diameter.

I would say this is a good guess at weight.

Thanks both :thumb: will arrang to pick one up next week, even if it is 'small' it's still worth trying out!

Back