• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mimzy too stressed for bummy baths :(

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
Lately, and I'm not sure why, Mimzy has had a bit of messy bum. He eats more veg than he does hay, but I've just changed to a mature oat and this seems to be drying him up somewhat. I think he just tends to sit/fall asleep in places he wees. I'm trying to increase both the size of his day and night enclosures so he has more room, I use plenty of absorbent litters and hay, but he is a bit stained and smelly as a result.
He was looking very thin recently so I got him a bit of organic alfalfa to tip the scales a bit. He definitely got more 'aromatic' while eating this but since I've removed that from his diet he doesn't smell as strong (his urine I mean).

He needs his fur cleaned and trimmed a bit on his underside but he goes completely wild-eyed when handled now...I can't even get a good look. He then starts breathing very deeply and quickly. While trying to use a storage box with a towel and a small amount of warm water in the bottom to rinse some of the fur he got so frantic right off the bat I stopped immediately and dried him off. His breathing was so stressed he was wheezing. He recovered quickly and gave me some good foot flicks to show his distaste but I will never try that again for fear I'd give him a coronary. He's never been this frightened with anything I do to tend him. He's always been my 'zen' bunny. Mellow in the car, good with grooming and nail clips, patient with my medicating him. Now he's completely unmanageable.
He is deaf, but he can see me so it's not a loss of senses. It's like he's more of a wild bunny. He loves a fuss still but is ready to bolt away until he realizes there's nothing scary about a good ear rub.
What can I do? Must I begin the trust dance all over again? Could he be going senile in his old age and just not remember me from day to day? I am worried he's getting messier on his backside and want to make him more comfy but I don't want to literally scare him to death. :(
Any suggestions, please?
Thank you. :wave:

Poor lad :cry:

It could be that handling him makes his vestibular problems much worse so he feels very dizzy and consequently fearful.

I do wonder how his kidney function is now. His age, all the medication he has needed and now the strong smelling wee, messiness and weightloss could indicate a renal problem.

With regards to his bedding, could you use Vetbed or towels that you could change throughout the day so he has less chance to sit in his wee ? That at least might lessen the amount of soiling of his rear end. But if he is actually somewhat incontinent then I really do think renal failure *might* be an issue.

If he has some urine scald that too may account for his change in behaviour when being handled as urine scald is sore.

I am afraid a Vet consult seems to be needed again and I really do understand that this is not straight forward given your location :cry:

I hope that Mimz will feel more comfortable soon xx

I'm sorry I've no suggestions, but strongly agree that dizziness is the probable cause of his changed psychological behaviour.
I well remember a time when I was always "nursing" Thumper. He got so fed up that when I was brushing him he snatched the brush out of my hand & flung it across the floor, then rested his head in my palm. It was as if he was saying,"I'm fed up of all this nursing let's just have some cuddles together". Of course Thumper couldn't undertand that nursing him was literally a full time job & I didn't have a spare minute.

Benjie spooks at me & hides when he's sneezed. Again, it's as if he doesn't want me to start "all that nasty interferance again". He's fine & very affectionate if he hasn't sneezed.

Back