• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Its Myxi but we are giving Herbs a chance, please, please give vibes

Bungle bunny

Mama Doe
I took Herbs to the vet again this morning, I was convinced that this would be the end for him. I made up my mind last night, he looked so sad and despite the meds was getting worse.

Our vet is very rabbit savi. She checked him over and said that she does feel that its myxi. However, she said that she has seen a few buns recover if they are strong. Herbs is very strong, he lives in a huge enclosure and is always running and digging, he has made the most amazing burrow.

I broke down in the vets. I really thought that I wouldnt have a choice, I couldnt bear to watch him in pain. We decided that he would be given pain killers, continue with the meds and be monitored closely for the next couple of days. She also gave me some recovery as I mentioned that his eating has slowed right down.

He has been amazing today. He has eaten a full sachet of recovery and some dandelion leaves, and has been quite lively. I have made another appointment with the vet for Monday evening.

Do you know of any buns who have survived? Do you think he stands a chance or am I just prolonging his suffering?

Please could he have as many recovery vibes as you can share?

Hundreds of vibes for herbs. Has bunny been vaccinated?
Dont give up !
Millie got myxi (she was vaccinated under the old style vaccine)
she is fine now after a very very scary few months
you can see pictures of her on my vets facebook page its Alan Humpries Liverpoool - Village Vets Liverpool on facebook
Millie was absoloutely fine the whole time, eating, drinking, and playing out without knowing she was ill
x x

Yes, many buns on here have recovered from full blown myxi on here, even though it's a tough battle ahead.
Everything crossed for Herbs - "You can do it little fella".:love:

If he was vaccinated within the last six months he has a good chance. My Josie has completely recovered from myxi, and she had been vaccinated 6 months before showing symptoms. Is he on painkillers and antibiotics? Eye drops and nebulising can help if his eyes and breathing are affected. Hope he can beat it. Sending lots of vibes xx

Sending lots of vibes, you have to give him a good chance.

Myxi jabs used to be once a year unless you lived by water/mozzie prone areas so you never know. Not sure why they now say every 6 months for all areas so there may be a slight chance he still has some vaccination.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. He doesnt seem any worse today and has eaten some recovery. I have also bought some manouka honey 20+ and have been giving him a bit of that. He is on pain killer, antibiotics and eye drops.

The good thing is that the vet thinks that all his symptoms are external at the moment.

He still hates being picked up for meds and feding but once he is he goes mad for the food and water.

I can cope as long as I know he is not in pain.

I will keep you updated and if anyone has any more suggestions, please let me know.

Fingers crossed for him x

Do you have the Oxbow recovery food, I find that the fine blend is a lot more palatable for them.

warmth is very important , (outdoor buns to be brought in), personally I always kept mine with their partners (as long as fleas are not a possibility), the partner usually cleans eyes etc and keeps them comfortable SOME PEOPLE think this is risky . . OTHERS think it isnt - its up to you. . .

lots of fluids, keep their 'interest' up with herbs etc

warmth is very important , (outdoor buns to be brought in), personally I always kept mine with their partners (as long as fleas are not a possibility), the partner usually cleans eyes etc and keeps them comfortable SOME PEOPLE think this is risky . . OTHERS think it isnt - its up to you. . .

lots of fluids, keep their 'interest' up with herbs etc

Phew, this is good news, I have brought both Herbs and Fudge indoors but Fudge is NOT happy about it :roll: I have been keeping the bathroom window open though and turned off the heating in there. its a very big space, it looks and smells like a stable in there now :)

he has just eaten some more dandelion leaves dipped in recovery. (I will get it into him :)

Back