• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

worst rabbit advice you have ever been given

wasn't to me was to Don who was fostering for us
A rabbit who was not eating and hadn't for a couple of days..taken to vet a day before X mas and new vet said just to leave her and see how she was after Christmas..no exam apart from looking at bun sat on table ..and charged us a consultation fee :shock::censored:
Complaint went in ..fee refunded..

When new to rabbits I read lots of books but one of the earliest I came upon said "always make sure there is food in your rabbit's bowl" so I followed this advice, and guess what, the buns spilled all their food everywhere looking for their favourite bits, and a couple became rather plump.

I've not been given bad advice for a rabbit, but this little gem was great from a pet shop when we urgently needed a new guinea pig when one of a pair died and the remaining piggie starved herself in misery:

'Don't get a new guinea pig, the old one will probably just attack it and anyway she will get used to being alone.'

What rubbish! The poor piggie was pining away, we gave her two new friends and she nearly outlived them too! :lol:

When the bonding with Poppy had failed my mum told me I was stupid to have gotten her spade as I should have borrowed a male, let her have a litter and keep a female kit:shock: She was deadly serious too.....I put her straight politely:roll:

told to fast a rabbit before a neuter by the receptionist at the vet :roll:
At least she now knows that's not the case

That the recovery rate from strokes for rabbits is very low and we shouldn't expect him to survive. The advice was we should pts. We said no.. We were then, after saying no, given the option of treatment and Leo made a full recovery ..

Separate a bonded pair for 5 days post dental to make sure Scarlet drank the water with biolapis in. That was a vet nurse and I told the vet.

That you can't vaccinate a single rabbit if you have other rabbits as it will give the others myxi as vaccinated bun becomes contagious

You do not need to neuter female rabbits that have not been bred from as they will not have had a season so therefore can't get cancer.

These gems were both told to us by a rescue and this is the info they were telling the public! The conditions were sadly no better than the advice

That the recovery rate from strokes for rabbits is very low and we shouldn't expect him to survive. The advice was we should pts. We said no.. We were then, after saying no, given the option of treatment and Leo made a full recovery ..

Similar to this. Told to put down a one year old rabbit with head tilt who was improving. Ok so he still looked very bad but she completely ignored the facts we were telling her about how his balance was improving and he still had his (ravenous) appetite.

He lived another five years after that so I think we made the right decision ;)

when bonding a trio first put 2 in together, give them as much space as possible with escape areas for them to be alone then a couple of weeks later add the 3rd into the space. :roll:

luckily i didn't take the advice!

From my old un rabbit savvyvets :roll: separate bonded pair for 3 Weeks as lily was spayed as flopsy would attack her also we had to Bribe them to let flopsy go in with her to the vets ! Flopsy was neutered years ago! I soon put them straight !

Oooh I just remembered one...

When my mum contacted a fairly well known rescue (not on here, and I won't say where exactly) they lied through their teeth about pasteurella to try to get us to take a pair. One of the buns had chronic problems with it and they said it was absolutely nothing that would never cause problems. Fair enough, perhaps the bun would manage and live a long otherwise healthy life, but I'd like to think a rescue would have been honest about potential vets bills and insurance issues!!

Nothing I have been told but quite a few times I have had people bring their buns here and the owners say 'xxx is neutered so they can play with your buns' - ehm not unless you fancy coming home to a dead or badly injured rabbit!!!!!!!!!

not sure if my worst piece of advice was to fast rabbit before neuter or the advice by P@H to get one of each (rabbit and GP) and the lovely 3 foot cage they sold me to keep them in :roll:

Back