• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I know I shouldn't be upset...U/D when I asked about it...

Trixielover

Mama Doe
...But I am! :(

Today, I went to the local farm shop today and there was a bunny that had been there 2 years. My mum said we could take her if she got on with Domino so we went home and got domino then went back. She got a pen and put them in, then domino kept on humping and it stressed the girly which lead to a scrabble. So the lady seperated them and said they don't get on within 5 mins of putting them in. Then she tried Domino with an UN NEUTERED boy! :shock: which lead to a scrabble immediatly. She then said 'he won't bond with anybun as he is 'too old and dominant' now my mum won't let me try a rescue bunny cos of what the lady said! :(

Last edited:
Sounds like a knowledgeable bunny person - NOT. Was the other rabbit neutered? And to expect a bond in 5 mins is ridiculous. What do you mean by squabble -fighting or chasing?

Oh and one of my original buns had been returned to rescue twice due to the fact she wouldnt bond. I bonded her in a weekend with my bun extremely easily and she now lives with 4 others (was 6 others but 2 have went to bridge)

As both bunnies were unneutered, it doesnt mean anything that they didn't get along with Domino.

Couldnt you stop her putting Domino with an unneutered male?! How irresponsible of the lady, although I guess it was probably just ignorance.

Why don't you write an email to the RWAF detailing your situation and asking how to go about getting him a friend, and show your mum the reply. Or ask a rabbit-savvy vet whilst your mum is there to hear the answer.

Nope not neutured as she is a breeder. Well, they sort of fought for about 2 seconds and she took them out. A poof of Dominos hair came out though!

I assume this bun isn't spayed? I think you should collect up as much information as you can about bonding and show your mum.
It's ridiculous to write off him ever having a partner over this, many people on the forum have pairs that have bonded really well after fighting during bonding. :thumb:

On a side note, I personally wouldn't try taking him to a pet shop again because you don't know for sure that the buns aren't carrying any viruses or anything, pet shops don't generally follow any sort of quarantine procedures.

That's a load of RUBBISH :evil: My Rabbits didn't get along in the first 5 MINS :evil: it can take months to bond :? My bond wasn't that long but I've heard people on here who have took up to a year :shock: to have there rabbits properly bonded , to be honest most workers in pet shops don't know anything about the pets their selling- just the basics eg. how much food to give and when to clean them out:?

Last edited:
I assume this bun isn't spayed? I think you should collect up as much information as you can about bonding and show your mum.
It's ridiculous to write off him ever having a partner over this, many people on the forum have pairs that have bonded really well after fighting during bonding. :thumb:

On a side note, I personally wouldn't try taking him to a pet shop again because you don't know for sure that the buns aren't carrying any viruses or anything, pet shops don't generally follow any sort of quarantine procedures.

Yup! ;)

Agree with everything BattleKat says :thumb:

I showed my mum the link and this is what she said:

Me: I researched the bonding thing and it takes more than 5 minutes to bond rabbits. And fighting is completely normal!

Mum: *reads the article* no. *walks off*

Me: why not?

Mum: because we haven't got the time.

Me: I'd be the one doing it!

Mum: no, we're not discussing this.

I'm really upset. :( and Domino doesn't get the company he deserves! :cry:

I showed my mum the link and this is what she said:

Me: I researched the bonding thing and it takes more than 5 minutes to bond rabbits. And fighting is completely normal!

Mum: *reads the article* no. *walks off*

Me: why not?

Mum: because we haven't got the time.

Me: I'd be the one doing it!

Mum: no, we're not discussing this.

I'm really upset. :( and Domino doesn't get the company he deserves! :cry:

Tell her that a lot of rescues do the bonding for you, all you have to do is drop domino off and then go and get them once the rescue is happy with the bond :thumb:

Well that and pay the rescue of course :lol:

We just had this conversation:

Me: So, just to confirm, I'm not getting Domino a friend?

Mum: no your not

Me: So what am I getting for my birthday then, since she was going to be mine and Dominos new friend and present.

Mum: well you can have a hamster then.

Hmm. I don't know what to feel. I really wanted to get a friend for Domino. But I have gained a hamster out of it which I have wanted for ages.

Btw, can I just say, I'm not getting a hamster for the sake of it even if it seems that way. I have thought and asked for one for a long time and I have got a cage from my previous hammy and will probably get a 100 cm one with my b'day money.

Both my bondings started with a fight. But after a couple of weeks they fell in love and bonded strongly. A couple of minutes in a petshop with an unneutered rabbit who probably never had a proper bond was bound to have some scuffs, it's rare for rabbits to just accept each other without a fuss! Females are territorial and any unneutered adult males to an adult male was bound to end badly, lucky it didn't end up with an injury.

I see following, mounting and fur pulling as a normal process, it's when one doesn't do it back and that they separate themselves for a break a couple of times then that can lead to them bonding. This sort of behaviour can lead to fights if not monitored and intervened if it gets too much. But both mine started like this and they became lovey doveys.

I think you should tell your mum you don't want a hamster, you want a friend for your rabbit. If you refuse to have something you've wanted for ages, she may realise you want what's best for him and not for yourself. She's using the hamster as a distraction because she doesn't want the effort and money of bonding. And likely will use the hamster against getting another rabbit "You already have a hamster and a rabbit, we're not getting more pets."

A agree with trying to find a rescue who will bond him themselves or failing that, if your mum really don't want to go through the bother, maybe a baby female, like 8-10 weeks, he may accept her better. Of course it'll still cost more due to having to get him/her neutered, vaccinated and separated just in case they don't get along and for her to recover from her neutering. And if your mum doesn't want to get the new rabbit neutered, she could risk them breaking the bond due to hormones. To be fair going to a rescue to get him bonded is less hassle :lol:

But it's up to you and your mum, sadly if she says no and she's the one paying for everything, there's not much you can do. :(

She's not going to take you, or the fact that bunnies need friends, seriously if you settle for a hamster instead. I know you want a hamster, but don't you want your rabbit to be happy even more? Give your mum time to cool off, gather info on bonding, find several potential neutered rabbits in rescues that do bonding, and approach the issue prepared next time. The reason it failed last time was because you weren't prepared - you let the woman demonstrate how not to make it work.

She's not going to take you, or the fact that bunnies need friends, seriously if you settle for a hamster instead. I know you want a hamster, but don't you want your rabbit to be happy even more? Give your mum time to cool off, gather info on bonding, find several potential neutered rabbits in rescues that do bonding, and approach the issue prepared next time. The reason it failed last time was because you weren't prepared - you let the woman demonstrate how not to make it work.

Nessar makes lots of sense. Do some reading up, ask us lot lots of questions, look around on rabbit rehome and other local rescues and when you're mum asks keep saying that you'd still prefer a companion for Domino. Show her you're (a) responsible and (b) have researched it.

I will try. Can't guarantee anything because she gets annoyed and won't listen if I go on about something. :(

I'm not suggesting to go on about it, in fact I'd advise you to do the opposite for now. Keep quiet, let everything settle. When is your birthday?

Did you actually accept the offer of a hamster, or did you walk off or make a non-commital comment? If you made it seem like the hamster was a good idea, you do need to backtrack before she starts buying you hamster stuff, but do so carefully, dont get into an argument. If she asks you want you want for your birthday, look resigned and sad (not moody) and say 'Well I don't really know now, I just want Domino to be happy' and then change the subject or leave the conversation.

Back