PDA

View Full Version : Anyone nr Spring Road station, Birmingham? Stray bunny U/D No sign of the other one.

helgalush
17-11-2012, 01:38 PM
I've just been on Facebook and saw a post made by a friend of mine yesterday to say that a bunny had been spotted on the platform of Spring Road Station, in the outskirts of Birmingham.

I've seen a picture and it looks a domestic bunny, rather than a wildie. Obviously it has already been out by itself for 24 hours now so I am very worried about it.

I am not very local and wouldnt be able to get there before its dark. Is anybody local to the area and could go and have a look, see if they can spot the bunny?

I have tried calling Fat Fluffs as not sure which rescues are in the area to help.

Otherwise any other suggestions - would the RSPCA go out?

The Duchess
17-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Have shared on my rescue page in case anybody can assist.

helgalush
17-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Thank you so much. I am on hold to a Birmingham branch of the RSPCA, I don't know if they will be able to help though. Feel so useless. :(

helgalush
17-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Been on hold for half an hour now, its going to be dark soon. :(
PS It does look like a domestic bunny doesnt it, not a wildie?? I have never seen a wildie I don't think but the face shape/eyes/ears/size of it doesn't make me think wildie. Just checking...

alio71
17-11-2012, 02:18 PM
I am stuck at work until half 8 tonight :( I can take a look tomorrow but I guess that'll be too late :(

alio71
17-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Have you tried posing on ff facebook page? They are very close and will have members very close by!

helgalush
17-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Thank you. I may see if my OH will go with me this evening, but it will be dark before we can get over there.

helgalush
17-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Have you tried posing on ff facebook page? They are very close and will have members very close by!

I tried their mobile telephone number and left a voicemail. I will post to their Facebook page too.

The thing is I havent been able to get hold of my friend who made the post on Facebook for more information (I've tried) so I dont want to send anyone on a wild goose chase either.

Michelleox
17-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Have you tried Fat Fluffs? They are dotted around Birmingham, i think there is a number on their website

helgalush
17-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Spoken to Fat Fluffs, but they are not in a position to be able to help unfortunately.

I am back in the queue for RSPCA helpline.

loppy ears
17-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Is the station manned?

The rabbit may not be there anymore.

helgalush
17-11-2012, 02:41 PM
I was thinking that myself, which is why I've tried to get hold of my friend, but no reply to text, voicemail or FB. He works on that railway line so he would know also if the station is manned. I've got a feeling its a very small station.

ETA: National Rail Enquiries website says it has a ticket office. Do you think I should call them and see if bunny been spotted since?

loppy ears
17-11-2012, 02:42 PM
I was thinking that myself, which is why I've tried to get hold of my friend, but no reply to text, voicemail or FB. He works on that railway line so he would know also if the station is manned. I've got a feeling its a very small station.

From what I remember that station is surrounded by commercial land/buildings if the bunny has moved it would be difficult to know where to look

Michelleox
17-11-2012, 02:43 PM
RWA have a facebook page, maybe worth posting on there. Hope this bun can be helped.

helgalush
17-11-2012, 02:44 PM
From what I remember that station is surround by commercial land/buildings if the bunny has moved it would be difficult to know where to look

I don't really know the area at all, my OH does but he has been out all afternoon. The bunny could have gone anywhere couldnt it?

Snowy
17-11-2012, 02:49 PM
I am quite some distance away but could help if needed, let me know

loppy ears
17-11-2012, 02:49 PM
I don't really know the area at all, my OH does but he has been out all afternoon. The bunny could have gone anywhere couldnt it?

I would not think he/she will stay on the station with trains passing through

Snowy
17-11-2012, 03:01 PM
It might still be in the area in shrubbery or somewhere, it's worth a look

loppy ears
17-11-2012, 03:14 PM
There used to be a person in Acocks Green who bred rabbits for pet shops she kept them in a massive natural type environment but they were left to survive or not, there were hundreds, many escaped. Could some of those domestic rabbits have got into the wild and be living as wild rabbits?

loppy ears
17-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Have you managed to get through to the RSPCA yet?

helgalush
17-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Have you managed to get through to the RSPCA yet?

No, I was on hold for an hour and 20 minutes in the end and then I had to go out, so I gave up, it was just playing on a loop the same messages over and over again. I'm not convinced they would do anything, especially as I havent seen the rabbit myself and as far as I know its not been seen since yesterday.

Going to try and head over there with my OH now, see if we can see anything. I'm not expecting to but at least we will have tried. May need to try again in the daylight tomorrow - and I can try the RSPCA again tomorrow, but I just think the longer time goes on without it being spotted, the less seriously they would treat it anyway.

Wish I could get hold of my friend for more info.

Barn Yard Bunnies
17-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Lots of luck Helen. Keeping my fingers crossed.

loppy ears
17-11-2012, 04:43 PM
No, I was on hold for an hour and 20 minutes in the end and then I had to go out, so I gave up, it was just playing on a loop the same messages over and over again. I'm not convinced they would do anything, especially as I havent seen the rabbit myself and as far as I know its not been seen since yesterday.

Going to try and head over there with my OH now, see if we can see anything. I'm not expecting to but at least we will have tried. May need to try again in the daylight tomorrow - and I can try the RSPCA again tomorrow, but I just think the longer time goes on without it being spotted, the less seriously they would treat it anyway.

Wish I could get hold of my friend for more info.

Good luck I hope you manage to find him/her

helgalush
17-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Thank you, I'm not at all hopeful but can only try. Just eating some toast then going. :)

Bunny Buddy
17-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Thank you, I'm not at all hopeful but can only try. Just eating some toast then going. :)

Good luck. Even a glimmer of a chance is worth going for.

Don't forget the fenugreek crunchies!

sally1974
17-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Keeping everything crossed xxx

helgalush
17-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Thanks guys. As expected, no luck on spotting the bunny.

Alvins mummy
17-11-2012, 08:35 PM
That's a shame. I hope you have more luck tomorrow.

Mirth
17-11-2012, 11:11 PM
it does look like a domestic bunny :(

could you get hold of a live trap? though if you haven't seen it then you won't know where to put it. hope you find it soon

Bunnie
17-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Yes he does look like a domestic bunny i think he looks to smooth and silky to be wild :D

alio71
18-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Any news? How did you get on?

OwnedByRabbits
18-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Any news, that bunny looks just like my Tizzy, so must be a domestic

helgalush
18-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Any news? How did you get on?

We went last night with torches, looked like a right pair of weirdos walking up and down the station platform shining torches in to the bushes, there was quite a few people there. As it was dark and a cold night too, I suspect that if the bunny was around he had made himself a snug little hole to hide in amongst the undergrowth.

Alio, are you local-ish to Spring Road? If so is there any chance you could have a quick look up there today?

My friend said he saw the bunny during the day Friday and it allowed him to get quite close. He said it had a beautifully groomed coat and looked well fed so I suspect it had only recently escaped (or whatever).

I am a good 45 minutes each way to Spring Road, and feeling a bit under the weather today, I am also 7.5 months pregnant so I could do without making the trip again today in the daylight, so if anyone is willing or able to just have a 5-10 minute check up there, I would be so grateful. Please let me know.

helgalush
18-11-2012, 04:17 PM
I can't believe I am writing this but we found the little bunny!!

It was sitting there in broad daylight! My OH managed to jump the fence and caught it with his jumper :love:

It has been checked over by our vets and is in good condition.

We have to keep the bunny for 7 days and advertise it as a found rabbit so that if it does have loving owners somewhere they can come forward.

I have removed the photo and any reference to its appearance so that if the owners come forward they have to give us a description etc.

Thanks so much for all the help.

Alio, I will PM you as I wonder if you might be able to help us by popping up a few posters with our contact number on? Thanks in advance if you can.

helgalush
18-11-2012, 04:17 PM
PS Thank you to Julia, Theo, Ali and everyone else on this thread that helped us yesterday. And also thanks to Tracy and Theo for advice about quarantining etc. :D

hurricanhoney
18-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Well done Helen,your husband and all involved you are total angels for helping this little one.

OwnedByRabbits
18-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Great news !!
At least he is safe now

Bunny Buddy
18-11-2012, 04:24 PM
:love::love::love:

What amazing news! I bet the little bunny is thrilled to be in a safe place and having food brought to him/her now.

It does sound like the bun has been well cared for from descriptions of condition and temperament.

I'm so pleased you decided to go looking for the bun even though it sounded like sucha long shot.

rngpwelfare
18-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Glad it was found and seems ok, let me know if you need any help with it. :) although I suspect that once in your house it isn't going anywhere ;)

Tinsel
18-11-2012, 04:28 PM
That's amazing - what a lucky little boy! Well done to you and hubby for persevering - not many would have... :thumb:

alio71
18-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Will get some posters done and pop them up in the morning for you. Very well done, that's one lucky bunny xxx

Kavanne
18-11-2012, 04:33 PM
So happy to hear this! Of course if no one comes forward I expect piccies after the seven days....
;) or once he's been claimed

helgalush
18-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Thank you everyone and thank you Alio for putting some posters up for us, I really appreciate it. We'll contact the railway line to ask them to pop a poster in the station itself if possible too, and will ring local police station/vets as well.

After the 7 days I will definitely share a picture and let you know how the bunny is settling in too. :D

Just can't believe we got it!

Tracy, you know me too well! :lol: But Mr Helgalush says no way, with baby on the way, we cannot keep it. :(

Georgeypudding
18-11-2012, 04:48 PM
excellent news!

honeybunny
18-11-2012, 04:49 PM
that is great news..well done to all involved :D

Hesperus
18-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Wow, well done, I must admit I didn't expect such a happy ending.

Let's hope some loving owners come forward for it so they too can have a happy ending!

Snowy
18-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Well done Helen and Colin, you are both fantastic, brilliant for the bunny, I am at the end of the phone if you need help:thumb:

The Duchess
18-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Well done. *does a happy dance*

RedFraggle
18-11-2012, 05:26 PM
That's really something to manage to catch it. Well done you :thumb:

alio71
18-11-2012, 05:29 PM
His photo is still appearing on the fb link. just thought I'd say in case you wanted to drlete that too xxx

helgalush
18-11-2012, 05:43 PM
His photo is still appearing on the fb link. just thought I'd say in case you wanted to drlete that too xxx

Ooh which link is that Ali? I'm not sure if I know how to get it deleted there but will try!

Barn Yard Bunnies
18-11-2012, 05:45 PM
OMG I never imagined you would find him. Fantastic, really well done. :love:

I didn't know you were pregnant. Congratulations. :love:

helgalush
18-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Nor me. All the way over there I was saying to my OH it was a waste of time but it just goes to show I guess....fate kept it there for us to find.

Thanks - I haven't really mentioned it that much until recently, even though I am nearly there now! :oops:

mollyjoker
18-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Well done, what a fantastic thing to do .
I love the people on here.
Good Luck with the baby,again full of admiration
for helping this lost bunny :love:

Barn Yard Bunnies
18-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Nor me. All the way over there I was saying to my OH it was a waste of time but it just goes to show I guess....fate kept it there for us to find.

Thanks - I haven't really mentioned it that much until recently, even though I am nearly there now! :oops:

Wow, its it your first ?

And how is the bunny, is he friendly. I wonder if Mr Helgalush will change his mind over the week.;)

helgalush
18-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks Mollyjoker, its nice to see you on here, I havent been on as much lately so sorry if I have missed any recent updates.

Amanda, yes it is our first :D I think Mr Helgalush is pretty adamant, can't blame him really with 6 buns already and the demands of a new little person to look after soon.

loppy ears
18-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Well done, what a lucky bunny he is, I bet he was glad to be found.

Michelleox
18-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Fantastic news! Well Done :D

Kermit
18-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Oh my! How fab that you got bunny! Well done.

Tracy
18-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Brilliant news. :D Well done. :wave:

DomaNikki
18-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Well done, I hope the buns owners come forward soon :wave:

Mrs. Bunnykins
19-11-2012, 12:02 PM
I can breathe a sigh of relief now.

Poor little scared bunny is now safe and sound.:D:D:thumb::love:

parsnipbun
19-11-2012, 12:06 PM
I can't believe I am writing this but we found the little bunny!!

It was sitting there in broad daylight! My OH managed to jump the fence and caught it with his jumper :love:

It has been checked over by our vets and is in good condition.

We have to keep the bunny for 7 days and advertise it as a found rabbit so that if it does have loving owners somewhere they can come forward.

I have removed the photo and any reference to its appearance so that if the owners come forward they have to give us a description etc.

Thanks so much for all the help.

Alio, I will PM you as I wonder if you might be able to help us by popping up a few posters with our contact number on? Thanks in advance if you can.

I was about to say dont put up a photo - can you have any other 'trick' questions to identify the real owner???? any distinctive things (obviously dont post on here!!!) like sex and whether neutered etc

sally1974
19-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Fantastic news, well done :thumb:

helgalush
19-11-2012, 01:03 PM
I was about to say dont put up a photo - can you have any other 'trick' questions to identify the real owner???? any distinctive things (obviously dont post on here!!!) like sex and whether neutered etc

Thanks, no we arent putting any photos or descriptions about the bunny out there. I'm feeling very, very protective of the little soul. We do have a couple of distinctive things about the bunny but like you say can't post here.

Sorry to keep referring to it as an 'it' but will have to do for now. Bunny has been flopping down in the litter tray having a right good snooze, properly on its side, eyes closed, nose twitching etc :love: Must be so tired after being on high alert for so long. It has eaten the pellets and hay we've given it, as well as some coriander and parsley. Its poos are pretty bad - small, dark and no hay content in there at all, slightly misshapen too. Hoping we can improve that over time.

helgalush
19-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Oh gosh :cry: There may have been another one!

Just seen on my friend's FB page that a friend of his who also works on the railway line there saw two bunnies there last week, mid-week. One matching our bunny's description and a white one. :cry: I definitely couldnt see another bunny and we did look just to be sure, but only a casual look along the bushes and undergrowth so it could have been hiding. However I am thinking if there was a white one, it would have a much lower chance of survival in the wild, as it would have been spotted more easily by people and predators.....

I can't go back in the daylight until next weekend, what shall I do? Is there anyone that can go in the daylight to check?? :(

Barn Yard Bunnies
19-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Oh no. :cry: I hope it is alright. Sounds like they may have been dumped. :( Hope someone can help, we are far too far away.

Bunny Buddy
19-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Oh gosh :cry: There may have been another one!

Just seen on my friend's FB page that a friend of his who also works on the railway line there saw two bunnies there last week, mid-week. One matching our bunny's description and a white one. :cry: I definitely couldnt see another bunny and we did look just to be sure, but only a casual look along the bushes and undergrowth so it could have been hiding. However I am thinking if there was a white one, it would have a much lower chance of survival in the wild, as it would have been spotted more easily by people and predators.....

I can't go back in the daylight until next weekend, what shall I do? Is there anyone that can go in the daylight to check?? :(

How awful that you didn't know this at the weekend :cry::cry:

I hope someone can look. At least if anyone is searching for a white rabbit in darkness they stand a better chance than they would with a dark one.

sally1974
19-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Oh god I hate the thought of there being another bunny out there on its own :(

helgalush
19-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Me too. Its only one sighting and they only remembered when they saw my friend's post. We did look in the darkness on Saturday night but I think they would have been hiding in the bushes. We also looked on Sunday daytime when we went and didnt see anything. :cry:

Poor little thing. I did wonder if there might be another one, as I thought it was more likely that two may have been dumped than one. But they could be escapees of course.

helgalush
20-11-2012, 03:42 PM
My friend has been through the station 4 times today on the trains but unfortunately no further sightings of the white bunny. A couple of people have kindly offered to go and look in the daylight for me. I still can't get there til Saturday but feeling more and more hopeless about it.

Just in case anyone can and does go to look, my friend has asked me to remind people to be mindful of personal safety at railway stations.

Barn Yard Bunnies
20-11-2012, 04:10 PM
:( Lets hope it was a mistake sighting and there wasn't a white bunny. Unless its very frightened. :(

helgalush
20-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Just to be clear - as there is some confusion on Facebook.

There still seems to be a white bunny on the loose at Spring Rd station (even though it hasnt been spotted since last week, as far as we know this bunny has not been found).

Thanks.

Santa
20-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Awww poor other bun, and poor little safe bun now being on its own if white bunny was its friend :cry: if the two buns are opposite genders this does also mean there is a possibility of pregnancy of course. I do hope little white bun can be found, but please don't feel bad if it can't, you're being a bunny angel x x

helgalush
20-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Awww poor other bun, and poor little safe bun now being on its own if white bunny was its friend :cry: if the two buns are opposite genders this does also mean there is a possibility of pregnancy of course. I do hope little white bun can be found, but please don't feel bad if it can't, you're being a bunny angel x x

I know, thats what I keep thinking. Wish they could talk! :cry:
I have to say thank you to Poppymoon, Julia123, Alio71 and Theo from Rabbit Retreat as they are the ones now looking for the white bunny because I can't get there til Saturday now, so they are now the bunny angels, not me at all.

Captain Helen
20-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Well done for finding the bun! :D Really hope the white bunny can be found too xx

teejay
20-11-2012, 06:55 PM
There used to be a person in Acocks Green who bred rabbits for pet shops she kept them in a massive natural type environment but they were left to survive or not, there were hundreds, many escaped. Could some of those domestic rabbits have got into the wild and be living as wild rabbits?

:shock: :( :shock:

helgalush
21-11-2012, 06:30 PM
No more sightings of white bunny, despite several amazing bunny people trying to look. Alio71, Julia123 and Poppymoon all went out in the pouring rain to look today - what superstars. :love: But still nothing.

The bun we found is doing well, am hoping once the 7 days have passed I can post a full update and introduction about this little bunster.

helgalush
25-11-2012, 04:49 PM
We went over to Spring Road again today, to see if there was any sign at all of the white bunny, but no joy. I know others have tried during the week too.
I think we have done all we can to try to find the white bunny. It may never have been there as it was only one random sighting. We spoke to the station master in the ticket office and he had heard about our bunny but had not heard or seen anything about a white bunny. We did ask to be contacted if anyone did see another domestic bunny there, but as four of us (at least) have tried now there is no more we can do.

No owners have come forward to us about the bunny we rescued. Alio kindly put leaflets up around the area for us, we contacted the police, the station/London Midland rail, local vets, and attempted the RSPCA although they didnt answer their phone, so I think we have done as much as we can to publicise that it has been found.

So the plan for now is for us to insure, vaccinate and neuter the bunny and after that we will have a think about whats for the best for the future. I hope to introduce the bunny to RU in the next few days when I get time (and good lighting!) to take some piccies. :D

sally1974
25-11-2012, 04:58 PM
We went over to Spring Road again today, to see if there was any sign at all of the white bunny, but no joy. I know others have tried during the week too.
I think we have done all we can to try to find the white bunny. It may never have been there as it was only one random sighting. We spoke to the station master in the ticket office and he had heard about our bunny but had not heard or seen anything about a white bunny. We did ask to be contacted if anyone did see another domestic bunny there, but as four of us (at least) have tried now there is no more we can do.

No owners have come forward to us about the bunny we rescued. Alio kindly put leaflets up around the area for us, we contacted the police, the station/London Midland rail, local vets, and attempted the RSPCA although they didnt answer their phone, so I think we have done as much as we can to publicise that it has been found.

So the plan for now is for us to insure, vaccinate and neuter the bunny and after that we will have a think about whats for the best for the future. I hope to introduce the bunny to RU in the next few days

when I get time (and good lighting!) to take some piccies. :D

You certainly have done all you can regarding finding the other bun. Can't wait to see some pictures of the bunny you rescued. I think you have been amazing, I wish there were more people like you around :love:

Barn Yard Bunnies
25-11-2012, 05:00 PM
You have all done such an amazing job. :love: Such love and dedication for the railway bunnies.

Let hope it was a false sighting and there was no white bunny. Will the station master get back to you if they ever see anything ?

little-laura
25-11-2012, 05:04 PM
well done hope there wasnt a white bunny and if there was someone found it

helgalush
25-11-2012, 05:13 PM
:oops::oops: Thank you. The others who have looked and helped have been brilliant, especially those that went over in the dreadful rain in the middle of the week. And yes I really hope there either never was a white bunny or that if there was it has already been rescued.

I'll update once I've done an introduction thread for the bun we've got, its too dark for any pics to come out now so I will do it in the week :D

BYB, yes we asked him to let us know if he sees anything, he should have our number as we left our contact details there in case anyone comes forward. I don't think the station is manned a lot of the time though. I certainly think they would contact someone though, if they heard anything, whether it would be us or a rescue or other I dont know.