• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A wildie x in p@h..

We went in for dwarf hamster food.. Until I can find it cheaper somewhere else, I'm not paying £5 online when it's £2.50 in there, as much as I hated it..

My bf doesn't seem to grasp the fact I want to be in and out quickly.. The adoption section smelt horrific and the new enclosures are still poo:evil: the hamsters are still in tiny tanks with nothing ..and at least 6 in a tank. No one checks on them so what happens if they're fighting.. :evil: the only ones with a wheel are the robos :?

...anyway.. My bf was looking at the 'giant rabbit' they sell :roll: :( a HUGE French lop.. When I noticed a very slim, slender jawed rabbit.. It was a hare :? A full on hare, eating hay.. Should they even be doing that? Especially as the only 'large' hutch they have for sale in the shop now is that 5ft single level one..

No reason why a Belgian Hare should not be there given that all other Rabbits can be.

:cry:

I am so glad I dont live there I would love a hare. Strange having a hare though not easy buns to track down.

Belgian hares are a breed of rabbit. Gorgeous!!

Proper hares are a different species, don't adapt to a domestic environment, & shouldn't be sold.

I thought the Op meant BH ??

I hope so !!

I thought it was a baby BH, colouring was wrong I think though, but after talking to parsnipbun I am probably wrong :oops: thinking about it now it's more likely a wildie cross, which is terrible! in a pet shop! It didn't even cross my mind it could have been a wildie x:oops:

When my bf asked though the assistant said that it was a hare! Shows exactly what they know:? My bf said "Excuse me but is that a hare or something?" and the assistant said "erm, yes I think so."

Last edited:
I thought it was a baby BH, colouring was wrong I think though, but after talking to parsnipbun I am probably wrong :oops: thinking about it now it's more likely a wildie cross, which is terrible! in a pet shop! It didn't even cross my mind it could have been a wildie x:oops:

When my bf asked though the assistant said that it was a hare! Shows exactly what they know:? My bf said "Excuse me but is that a hare or something?" and the assistant said "erm, yes I think so."

Have asked Aly&Poppy to go back in and photo so we can all have a think and (if a real wildie or anything that will suffer extremely from being sold 'normally') will try and muster some RU help in some way.

Have asked Aly&Poppy to go back in and photo so we can all have a think and (if a real wildie or anything that will suffer extremely from being sold 'normally') will try and muster some RU help in some way.

Ermmmm taking a photo within the shop without consent is illegal !!

Same as everything, its not illegal as such, but may be store policy, ask someone if you can, im sure they will let you

My first rabbit was a belgian hare, a few people were convinced she was an actual hare but looking back at the photos i have of her she doesn't look anything like the hares I've seen.

Wait so is it a belgin hare or a wild cross? They would look completely different wouldn't they? Hares being huge and gangly with huge ears and a narrow face and a wildie cross being small, compact with shorter ears. Hares are pretty looking rabbits :love:

Because rabbits and wild hares can't breed if that's what you meant?

I've seen continentals or they were new Zealand whites being sold as normal rabbits, they were always albino and had huge ears. P@H will get rabbits from other breeders through their main 'breeder' since I've seen quite a few same breed rabbits come in like English with pretty nice markings, dutch, rex, mini rex, contis/new Zealand whites, nethies.

I just remembered a litter handed into my local p@H and they were thought to be wild cross, there was a discussion about if they were wild to release them, but the thought was, they were also pet cross and raised indoors they won't know how to survive and might not even be wild crosses even if they looked wild colour. So they were homed as pets.

It definitely wouldn't have been an actual wild hare.. The assistant obviously just said anything, assuming you knew more than her as she clearly had no clue (not a good sign though)

Belgian hares, as has been ,mentioned already, are rabbits that have been selectively bred to have the appearance of hares. They are usually a deep rusted red/brown/orange colour, sometimes black, black and tan or albino. They are pretty big, like a young giant.

Strangely enough i have noticed in pets at home, various ones, there seems to be a lot of rabbits with very very fine features, tiny thin heads and long noses, almost the frame of a belgian hare or wild rabbit, but s,aller thana hare of course and all sorts of colours..I know dutch and rex sometimes have quite thin faces and bulbous eyes when viewed from the front or top but these seemed particularly defined.. Even my friend pointed it out..

I don't think she will get arrested or anything for taking a photo in a shop lol id go down there and take a picture!

Ooh I've taken photos of buns before in PAH that I've been worried about. If they have nothing to worry about I don't see why they should have a problem with someone taking a photo. Something to consider though I suppose.

I have said that I think it must be a wildie x now, I'll change the title. I just hate being in that shop and my bf was the one who asked me if it was a hare. The assistant said they thought it was so that was that.

But thinking about it with a clear head it can't have been. I know what BHs look like and it was the only thing that was going through my head at the time. The colours were of a wildie but rabbit at the same time.

The head was tiny, very thin jaw (one of my dental buns is so because she has a thin jaw, is this something that would be a big problem for them?) the ears were quite long, but it may have been because of the size of it. Was rather small and the back leg bones( ?) we're prominent, also the feet were long and thin. It was eating hay with another rabbit and it was the eyes I noticed first, they were kind of bulging out like I have seen BHs eyes on here, but it can't have been one. It looked healthy though.

Such a shame :( I've asked my mom and she's coming with me on Tuesday so I'm hoping it's still there.

I have said that I think it must be a wildie x now, I'll change the title. I just hate being in that shop and my bf was the one who asked me if it was a hare. The assistant said they thought it was so that was that.

But thinking about it with a clear head it can't have been. I know what BHs look like and it was the only thing that was going through my head at the time. The colours were of a wildie but rabbit at the same time.

The head was tiny, very thin jaw (one of my dental buns is so because she has a thin jaw, is this something that would be a big problem for them?) the ears were quite long, but it may have been because of the size of it. Was rather small and the back leg bones( ?) we're prominent, also the feet were long and thin. It was eating hay with another rabbit and it was the eyes I noticed first, they were kind of bulging out like I have seen BHs eyes on here, but it can't have been one. It looked healthy though.

Such a shame :( I've asked my mom and she's coming with me on Tuesday so I'm hoping it's still there.

I think it is very worth while finding out whether this little bun is all domestic bun, or whether there is a wildie component.
A few folk on here have hand reared orphaned wildies, or have a wildie X. IMO they should never be sold to the unsuspecting public. They have a few "personality characteristics" which are different from domestic buns, & it needs a fair bit of experience to understand them.

However I gather than some breeders are breeding domestic buns which resemble wildies more closely, but have the same temperament, & behaviour as domestic buns. Oh dear breeding for the fashion market.:roll::evil:

Back