• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When does a weepy eye become a vet trip U/D

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Dinky has had a slightly wet eye a couple of times since she joined us in July but it dried up within hours. Last week her left eye watered quite a bit one day then not the next and then had got quite wet a few times but dries up in between. Her right eye was a bit weepy on one a occasion a few days ago but hasn't been since.

It's just watery discharge, no suggestion of infection, no snottiness etc. Eating like horse (especially hay), very very lively and demanding, her wet eye doesn't seem to bother her in the least.

I've got Artie booked in on Tuesday 27th and have booked to take Dinky at the same time - is 10 days soon enough or could it be something more serious that needs investigating sooner?

:wave:Thanks

Last edited:
we had this problem with our last bunny and never really solved it, yours may be differnt but out vet told us it was a blocked tear duct caused by a tooth / root problem, his remedy was to clean out the duct . he then advised us to just give the rabbit lots of hay to help with his teeth grinding . we had eye drops but they never solved it .

Does there appear to be any inflamed blood vessels within the actual eye or any inflammation of the conjunctiva (inner bit of eyelids) ?

Personally I would want to get the eyes examined early next week, but that may just be because I am neurotic !!

Does there appear to be any inflamed blood vessels within the actual eye or any inflammation of the conjunctiva (inner bit of eyelids) ?

Personally I would want to get the eyes examined early next week, but that may just be because I am neurotic !!

The little sweety just let me move her eyelids about without wriggling at all :love::love:

Nothing inflammed/reddened/bloodshot at all - everything looks healthy :D

My instinct was to book her in this week but I have a habit of being neurotic too (in case you hadn't noticed!) so didn't know if I was making too much of it.

Thanks, I will see what I can get appointment-wise.

we had this problem with our last bunny and never really solved it, yours may be differnt but out vet told us it was a blocked tear duct caused by a tooth / root problem, his remedy was to clean out the duct . he then advised us to just give the rabbit lots of hay to help with his teeth grinding . we had eye drops but they never solved it .

Thanks. I've had a few had tear duct flushes before but that's always been when they've just arrived with me and come from questionable previous homes. I was wondering if she might end up having a tear duct flush. Hopefully her teeth are alright from previous feedback from when she was under GA to be spayed.

Update

We are back from our vet trip.

Dinky's eyes haven't watered since Saturday when I moved the appointment :roll:

Having looked at her from every angle FHB thinks it's unlikely to be anything other than tooth roots. Her teeth are "not great" but she doesn't have any actual problems. Given the nature of her teeth - uneven, she is classic of a rabbit with tooth root problems, so very likely conclusion without any futher investigations.

I have to keep an eye on her and if it seems more of a problem to take her back. I have some eye stuff (ointment I think) in case it looks sore.

What I anticipated really but a relief that FHB didn't think it looked any worse than that.

Back