• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What hints and tips do you wish you had known as a new rabbit owner?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
So things like, increasing hay eating, giving medication, stuff like that.

I guess stuff that makes life easier for a rabbit owner.

Thanks in advance :)

I never knew for years, that they needed 80% hay in their diet. I provided about 20%. Nor how important it was to spay.

Never heard of statis until I joined RU. I did know, if they didn't eat something was wrong and get them to the vets, but that was about it. I thought fibreplex was the miracle cure for tummy problems. This really came down to the information that the vets and staff provided. The 2 rescues I got the bunnies from provided me with no information either.

Diet and space.

Mine were in two indoor cages put together when I had the two lops and Nutmeg. They did get some time in my room with me watching but nowhere near enough. I joined RU when I was looking for ideas for an enclosure for the three as I knew they needed more room but didn't realise how MUCH more they needed.

And diet. I didn't know about hay. One of my first threads was asking for help with Mini's sticky bum. Basically I was doing it all wrong and was giving far too much dried food, wasn't giving pellets (Mischa point blank refused to eat them) and not enough fresh hay.

I learnt about neutering when I was looking into bonding when I got Mini. And I found about vaccinations when Mischa was ill around the same time.

I think those are like 'the big four', the main four things that people don't tend to know about.

Thanks guys :)

I'm not talking so much about the big care related stuff, and how to look after them, but more when you know you need to do something for them, but not knowing the best way to do it.

So maybe things like

Catching a lose rabbit
Encouraging a rabbit to drink
How to keep a bunny cool
How to keep a bunny warm
Moulting Rabbits- How to help them
Reuniting a stray rabbit with its owner
Useful items to have on hand
Grooming your rabbit
If you lose your rabbit
Getting meds into a bunny
Syringe feeding a bunny
Fireworks Season
Increasing hay eating

Does that make sense?

Oh right. A lot of those things I haven't had to deal with. Only really keeping them cool, increasing hay eating and grooming/moulting.

I'm not talking so much about the big care related stuff, and how to look after them, but more when you know you need to do something for them, but not knowing the best way to do it.

So maybe things like

Catching a lose rabbit
How to keep a bunny cool
How to keep a bunny warm
Grooming your rabbit
If you lose your rabbit
Syringe feeding a bunny
Fireworks Season
Increasing hay eating

Does that make sense?

Gosh, most of this I had to learn on RU. I had to learn how to catch a bunny myself.;)

A lot comes down to common sense. However, we know not everyone does.

How to dry a wet bunny.

What to do with a dirty bottom.

Should they be sitting in the snow or rain.

Are the plants safe in your garden.

For a house rabbit, never let them see you doing things you don't want them to do & which they can reach. eg stripping wall paper to decorate -wonderful game!

Living space sizing!

When I got nis I was given this teeny hutch and told it would be fine for her - now I could never contemplate locking them in a hutch!
Also how important excersize is in keeping them healthy and stuff :(

For a house rabbit, never let them see you doing things you don't want them to do & which they can reach. eg stripping wall paper to decorate -wonderful game!

Yes I was thinking this too. What to do when they destroy everything and why they might be doing it ie, craving fibre, needing stimulation, etc.

How to care for and keep your rabbit warm in the winter....

Its so much more than just putting a tarp over the hutch (if some are lucky enough just to have that)

Your bunny isn't relaxed and falling asleep when you cradle it on its back in your arms!

So maybe things like

Catching a lose rabbit
How to keep a bunny cool
How to keep a bunny warm

Grooming your rabbit
If you lose your rabbit
Syringe feeding a bunny

Fireworks Season
Increasing hay eating

Does that make sense?

Those would be mine for sure.

Also, the big one for me has always been "when to get them to a vet" - you have a sticky in health which is my favourite RU thread, period.

Edit: just saw your more specific questions and have given my personal suggestions below.

Last edited:

So maybe things like

Catching a lose rabbit
How to keep a bunny cool
How to keep a bunny warm
Grooming your rabbit
If you lose your rabbit
Syringe feeding a bunny
Fireworks Season
Increasing hay eating

Does that make sense?

Catching a rabbit:
Stay still in one area, tempt them with food, they might come to you. If it's your own and you need to get them somewhere, they like to follow their humans, so try leading them there. As a last resort, use a towel or blanket and throw it over them. They will stop moving and you'll be able to pick them up.

Encouraging a rabbit to drink:
Had this issue with Jessie. I mashed her pellets with lots of lukewarm water and mixed in some mushed up herbs, which she loved and gulped down. I also put her favourite foods in a shallow dish of water, which I hoped she would lap up as she ate her food. I also put some water on a teaspoon and brought it right up to her lips, which got a few licks. Obviously I also left a bowl of water as well as the bottle, and I flavoured it with a small amount of fruit juice.

How to keep a bunny cool:
Some sort of cover over part of the cage/hutch/run for them to lie in, a cold surface such as a concrete/stone slab or even one of those plastic kitchen tiles from Poundland (keep an eye out for chewing). In the height of summer I would save bottles of coke or whatever, take the wrapper off and scrub the sticky stuff off, then fill it with water and freeze overnight. Then I would just place one in each of their cages - they loved it, they'd lick the water droplets, push it around like a toy and even lie down next to/on top of it. I also partly froze a water bottle so that they had cold water to drink as well as the normal room-temperature water.

How to keep bunny warm:
Get them a friend to snuggle with! Also provide a snuggle box within the cage/hutch, one that stays dry and doesn't allow draughts in. Fill it with hay and/or straw (straw is more insulating) so they can burrow down and be warm. Personally I use fleece, so I give extra blankets in those areas. Insulating the hutch with tarpaulin/some sort of padding on the outside is also a good idea.

Moulting rabbits:
Wet hands and stroke! Safest way, imo, and gets a good amount of hair off, although there are brushes you can buy too.

Useful items:
First aid kit (I have a list of 40-odd items if you want it), obviously always be stocked up on food and cleaning supplies, clean towels and fleeces are a must for me.

Grooming:
Nail clippers (I find it easier to have OH hold while I clip - for black nails I only take the tip off). I already mentioned wet hands for removing hair. I have shampoo on hand but have only used it once or twice. Other than that they're vain little things and do a great job of looking after themselves.

Fireworks season:
I would stay with them as much as possible, and also maybe take them into the quietest room in the house. Whatever I did, I would make sure they had somewhere cosy to hide, maybe a new toy or two to occupy them. I would also have the TV on, it may not make much of a difference but it's something they're probably more used to than fireworks, and mine like to watch it so it may distract them :lol: I'd also have treats/veg on hand and head rubs ready to be doled out.

Increasing hay eating:
Carefully and gradually reduce pellets, they'll make up for the lost food with hay. Also try different types, you may have a fancy bunny on your hands with very discerning tastes. I have also seen somebody feed hay soaked in water - easier for her choking-prone rabbit to eat, if I remember correctly.

The rest I don't have any experience of and wouldn't really know what to suggest, other than a similar position to grooming when trying to syringe feed, and tempting with food/familiar smells/leaving hutch door open and keeping watch/asking neighbours if you've lost your bun.

Last edited:
Right sized housing, proper diet and importance of spaying/companionship.

I think thats bang on. I just wish I had found this prior to taking on Floppy. I would have prepared differently. As it is we spent a lot of money on a hutch that Is big enough on paper but I'd like to go a step further. My hubby is buying ME a shed for my christmas. Not for me but for Floppy and Willow. Would have saved a lot of expense and will be better for them.....

Thanks guys. I've already written stuff on all those areas but can you think of any others? Just thought if ask to see if there are any other things I'm obviously missing. Thankfully the stuff raised so far is covered in other areas mostly. So it's great to have that confirmation that those things are necessary.

Sorry I've clearly been explaining myself badly.

Clipping your bunny's toenails?
Litter training (both the practicalities and 'neuter your rabbit!)
What to do if your bunny's teeth overgrow (i.e. don't take to them with nail clippers!)
Safe bunny weight loss, or is that too technical?

Back