• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits eating wallpaper

Hi all,

My 2x rabbits have started to eat/rip the wallpaper off, does anyone know of any solutions or suggestions in which i could try?

Thank you Leanne

I spray plants I don't want them eating with vinegar, the smell seems to put them off. Maybe worth a go?

It can be difficult if both have an established habit, & you may have to ensure that they can't get to wall paper for a whileunless you are supervising them & can stop it as soon as they start. Also they tend to strip any loose bits.
Take it from me, it's a disaster to let a rabbit see you decorating & stripping off wall paper. They see it as a fantastic game & "what's sauce for the goose is source for the gander" as far as they're concerned.

If they're actually eating the wall paper they may be craving woody fibre. You can help this by giving them small twigs to chew, or safe tree leaves in with their hay. After you've reprimanded them for wall paper stripping, immediately offer them a twig (=this is what you chew on).

when weve been training rabbits , weve used a water sprayer and squirted them , they dont like it and associate the wallpaper with getting wet.
get a good cardboard box that they can chew and wedge it behind the sofa so they cant get past it , they will spend their time and energy on trying to chew a hole through it, replace box as needed.

I'm afraid a water sprayer has never ever worked with mine. They just wash themselves and go back to what they were doing. Sometimes giving attention, even in a negative form, can have the opposite effect and make them think 'hmm that got me some attention, I'll do it again'.

I had the same problem. I tried various things to deter them but nothing worked. In the end I gave up. In the living room I removed the lower half of the paper, painted the wall and put a border between the two halves. In the other rooms I removed all the paper and emulsion painted the walls.

For chewing wires I put them in their pet carrier - like a kind of naughty step. They learned. You have to be persistent and put them in the carrier every time tho.

I tried the water and this didnt bother them one little bit.

Ohh i may try the vineger but not keen on the smell myself :)

I've currently go cardboard up but they keep finding away around it..

Back