• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Signs of arthritis in rabbits

I started with pain in my feet when I walked. Then one day one of my fingers just swelled up! Also early signs that I know now was RA was pain in my back when I lifted something heavy and I also got a pain in my sternum occasionally although this seems to have gone now. How old are you and what symptoms are you getting?

I started with pain in my feet when I walked. Then one day one of my fingers just swelled up! Also early signs that I know now was RA was pain in my back when I lifted something heavy and I also got a pain in my sternum occasionally although this seems to have gone now. How old are you and what symptoms are you getting?

sorry - i meant rabbit arthiritis! sorry, have made it clearer now :oops::lol:

I assume you mean in Rabbits ?

If so then less mobility,not jumping up onto things they once used to, episodes of gut stasis, sore hock or hocks, muscle wastage, loss of ability to get into a litter tray so weeing elsewhere and maybe sitting in wee, loss of ability to keep themselves clean/mucky bum etc, unusual aggression toward other Rabbit(s) and/or humans to name a few.

I guess reluctance to move around, jump onto things, etc. Also not eating cecals can be a sign as they have to move round quite a bit to reach. I expect there are more.

My last bunny got arthritis, signs were:

- Not grooming himself so well, especially having a dirty bottom.
- Holding himself differently, his body was less off the floor when he hopped (if that makes any sense)
- Visible signs of backbone sticking out where the body shape changed where he couldn't hold himself the same
- Smaller hops
- Not managing to jump up two steps where he'd managed before.
- Noticeably better energy levels when on anti-inflammatories

That's all I can think of, but most definitely the dirty bottom was the most obvious, he got a circle of poo stuck on his bum which had to be cleaned off regularly.

I think it would be good for all Vets to consider the possibility of arthritis when dealing with a Rabbit who has recurrent and inexplicable episodes of gut stasis. I have known of a few Rabbits who have presented with gut symptoms which turned out to be a secondary issue caused by pain from arthritis in their hips. Once on suitable NSAIDs and other complimentary treatments for their arthritis the episodes of gut stasis ceased.

For my Sky it was that he couldn't use his back left leg to scratch his ear anymore and it was 'slow' to move, especially after a GA. He's the happiest he's been for a long time now :love:

I think my angel might be starting with it in the same place. Vet says nothing so far but I'm sure.

Those were just the very early stages, nothing major and just careful observation.

I would just go along with anything that makes your rabbit act differently from before as being a sign, like with everything else. It's a bit of a jigsaw puzzle.

I think it would be good for all Vets to consider the possibility of arthritis when dealing with a Rabbit who has recurrent and inexplicable episodes of gut stasis. I have known of a few Rabbits who have presented with gut symptoms which turned out to be a secondary issue caused by pain from arthritis in their hips. Once on suitable NSAIDs and other complimentary treatments for their arthritis the episodes of gut stasis ceased.

I agree with this - often the early signs are so subtle and come on so slowly that you don't really notice them until it gets reasonably severe or something exacerbates it and secondary symptoms like gut stasis arise. My cat Milly's was only diagnosed after she had a 'crash' where she just took herself to a corner and stayed there for no apparent reason. A full vet examination of her joints and movement showed that to be the cause of her pain and x-rays confirmed.

Some of the more general symptoms can also be symptoms of other things so it is really important to get a thorough vet check to ensure that a proper diagnosis can be made.

Back