• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

need advice. interfering mother in law!

GiantOreo

Young Bun
My big baby boy rabbit is called oreo.
me and my Oh have recently built him a playhouse.. very roomy and lots of things to play with.
me and my OH and saving for a mortgage so atm were living with his parents..
i get on really really well with his parents BUT....

hi mum keeps treating my like im dumb..
if i have a day off work she says to me.. shall i ring you if it gets cold and rains so you put oreo away.
i ALWAYS say no dont worry ill know when it rains or gets to cold.
tho every time she rings me to put him away...
even when its not cold or raining..

also ill tel her not to clean him out and shell just go do it.
shell chuck loads of his toys away that can be kept.

she also keeps referring to him as HER rabbit....

i no she loves him and im SOOO glad she loves him. but somtimes i just get so sad because shell say stuff like..
'come to mummy oreo'' (meaning herself)

i pay for everything for him. i spent the most time with him. i look after him..
but she just interferes ALL the time..

i dont want to upset her but its really upsetting me..
and cleaning out his play house what is 7x5 two story every 2 times a week is costing us a fortune..
i dont mind if it needs doing but it doesnt!.
he is very clean rabbit and only wees and poos in his tray.
(he has 2 trays in his play house)

it was really embarssing one day i was doing her neices hair (im a hairdressing) and she asked me (my mother in law) if i wanted her to ring me when to put oreo away.. i said NO cos i will know when to put him away..

so she texted her neice to tell her to tell me to put him away now.. i told her to texted back saying no its not dark or cold or wet!.
ill do it later. and she got all annoyed..

she worrys bout the damp and the cold..
but rabbits prefer to be slightly colder then hot.
i wont let him get cold and wet!
but i dont see the problem him being in the cold.
he is very warm.. i leave the door on his playhouse open so he goes in and out..

i just dont know what to do.
also she said when we move out to leave the rabbit with her !

THERE IS NO WAY IM LEAVING OREO!

woww thanks for reading me ranting and raving ! x

well that another issue.
i was oreo to have a friend.
but my mother in law wont let me have one.
she say itll be more hassel than its worth!

i contacted a rescue.
even choose a rabbit i wanted oreo to be bonded with..
everything was fine and then she turned around and told me i wasnt aloud to get another one... =[

Maybe you could get Oreo a friend and then you can have one each?

But what when they move out? They can't split the rabbits up.

My opinion is there's not much you can do. She's a mother in law, they're sort of there TO annoy you. :lol:

But you could tel her to get some more hay etc on her shopping, seeing as he's her rabbit.

You could also line the playhouse with lino and use fleece blankets as bedding, with hay in the litter trays and other hideaways. Then when she cleans him out she'll have to stick all the bedding in the washing machine and it will only cost her electricity and not you. ;)

thank you for the advise.

and i even got extra blankets. and towels to keep him warm.
but she just chucks them.

i then said to her why did you chuck them and she said theres no point in washing them cos there to dirty and make her washing machine dirty...
its like a loose loose situation! :cry:

I'm afraid if you're living in her house, you will have to put up with it.

When I left home, I agreed that I would leave 2 of my 4 bunnies there. It was such a hard decision and I miss them both terribly, but it would also have been cruel to take them away from my dad, who had helped care for them for 3 years.

Why don't you have vinyl ok the floor, and then it solves the cleaning out problem? I have vinyl flooring and hay boxes and litter trays.

I think until you move out you are just going to look at the situation from a different perspective. It is so very selfish of your Mother-in-Law to act this way but she isn't likely to change so you will have to change a little. Try to look at this way, while you are out there is someone back home keeping an eye on your rabbit so that means he is safer and if you could look on it as if you are sharing him it won't upset you as much. Some people are so self- centred they can't see how upset another person is by their actions. Hope this will help you

Re cleaning him out, I agree with lino :thumb: I have it in my pairs shed and it was in their hutch. Then all the hay is in hay racks and their litter tray. What do you use on the floor? Paying to have it lino'd will be cheaper in the long run if its costing a bomb each time :)

To keep mine off the cooler lino I have given them a few carpet tiles but they're fine :) easy to sweep up then :thumb: and just stick some blankets/towels in a box or house for him :)

I'd be livid if I was you!! :evil:

Can't you have a chat with her, take her to one side and just said that it makes you feel uncomfortable the way she acts?
That you understand how much she loves him but at the end of the day he is YOUR rabbit.

I personally think that because you're under her roof, you just need to tolerate it (however frustrating that may be). Maybe just accept she is going to fuss about him, but that doesn't mean that you need to listen. You don't need to reply if she texts you telling you when to put him away or anything.

Also, if she is cleaning him out, as well as taking the suggestions, how about putting a cat flap in the door (or somewhere) of the playhouse and then padlocking it all up?

Also, don't worry about leaving him. She may view him as hers but that doesn't mean he is. If you think she may be difficult and there may be some sort of dispute then get him microchipped (maybe without her knowing) in your name.

I know this is driving you mad but it is lovely that she cares for him. I'd never trust my family with my buns as they would just Chuck food down and think 'job done'! Perhaps your mum is lonely. Mums spend years if life caring and dedicating their lives to children who grow up and don't want looking after anymore. Is Oreo a 'replacement' for want of a better word child? Your my can't mother you in the same way so she mummy's Oreo? I could be completely wrong here-just a thought. It doesn't make it less annoying but if this is what's happening maybe it could help you both find a solution to this? Whatever happens you know Oreo's safe with her-if a bit molly coddled!:lol: sorry mum in law I mean.

I'm sure it's annoying but I think it's quite sweet and better that she cares about him than not.

Unfortunately I agree with others, her house, her rules...

:wave:

Thank you for all the comments..
I havent said anything to her as it ia her house her rules.
As people have said. Least she loves oreo and i know she has his best
Intrests at heart.

One more thing is tho...
Oreo is on a diet cos my mother in law keeps feeding him fruit and veg.
While im only giving it to him as a treat every now and againm
Shell give it to him all the time!
Ill say to her oreo on a diet and she feels sorry for him.

He is perfect weight now. So hopefully he wont putt on any weight! :)

Thank you for all your kind messages! X

Regarding the fruit and veg, can you involve her in your feeding routine. She obviously cares and wants to join in so rather than you feeding him and then her feeding him what about asking her to help when you do it?

Back