• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whats your routine?

megansmummy

Mama Doe
:wave: whats your bunny routine? do you have a specific way of cleaning out and feeding or is it all slap dash? :p

I have to have a routine as the days are fairly busy and so a nice routine just keeps certain that everyone gets the attention they need. I have 3 outdoor set ups and one indoor setup and soon to be (fingers and paws crossed) 4 pairs of bunnies :)

Cleaning out/keeping tidy

Outdoor buns~
I sweep sheds and avairies daily (find these so much easier to keep nice and tidy compared to the hutch/run setup!), wash out food and water bowls/feeders and replace. Top up litter trays or change if needed. Check over toys/remove any that need binning/replacing!

Poppy and Daisy are in the hutch at the moment so daily I sweep the floors and the run...their bedroom cant fit an underbed storage box and everyother litter tray we have tried results in pee all over the floor of the bedroom everyday! So i change that litter tray daily and clean the floor in the bedroom bit. wash out their food and water bowl/feeder. Cant wait for them to be in the playhouse!

In the shed I keep lots of underbed storage boxes ready layered with megazorb and hay stacked up so that I can switch them over as I need to and if im in a hurry then I dont have to worry about emptying and refilling...I just stack the dity ones up and then empty/clean/refil them when i get chance!

Rosey indoor bun~
I 'dustbuster' her pen carpet everyday and pick up stray poops, her litter tray is changed daily or as needed. I keep a clean underbed box ready loaded with megazorb on top of her crate so I can swap them over when i need to. She also has a box of mixed dry forage/ready grass ontop of her crate and a box of hay...on her shelves she has her treats, pellets and clean spare blankets for her dog bed.

Feeding
All buns have slightly different feeding routines so in each outdoor shed (and playhouse will be the same) they have shelves...on their shelves are their pellets (all are on different at the moment so it saves confusion if hubby feeds them for me)... In the shed there is a big box of mixed dry forage and a huge plastic bag of hay from the bale...when needed I just take out the forage box/hay bag use what I want and refil as needed.
Each morning when i get back from the school run I prepare a box of fresh veggies/herbs for tea time when they all get their 'tea'
I have a printed out 'routine' sheet on the fridge of who has what when so that if hubby needs to step in then he has no excuse for getting it wrong! :lol:

To keep on top of what I order when I have a spreadsheet on the laptop and order food/hay and megazorb on payday so that I have enough to last the month. The farmer delivers hay to me and Megazorb and food i pick up locally.

All thats done throughout the morning/afternoon when i get chance so that when i go out and feed them tea...by the time I have made my way round and fed all their veggies/herbs and pellets and get to the last pair the first pair have finnished so then I go back to the first pair and sit with them give out fusses/strokes/little health checks etc and work my way round again :)

I think thats about it...might sound crazy but it makes my life easier :) What makes things easier for you??

Blimey :shock::shock:

I'm very disorganised compared to you.

As a general rule all feeding/cleaning etc happens after my dinner. Things like food I just organise as and when, but I always have one spare just in case!

Blimey :shock::shock:

I'm very disorganised compared to you.

As a general rule all feeding/cleaning etc happens after my dinner. Things like food I just organise as and when, but I always have one spare just in case!

I have three small children so I think I over routine everything! :oops::lol: Nothing would get done if I didnt have strict routines!! :roll:

I have three small children so I think I over routine everything! :oops::lol: Nothing would get done if I didnt have strict routines!! :roll:

Your very organised...I thought I was organised but no where near what you are:lol:

We get up my youngest feeds Poppy, gives her hay and checks her water, I feed the chooks and the eldest picks up the dog poop. We come in and pick up litter tray poop from the cats, clean water and feed them all....then run to get dressed and off to school:lol:

I spend the morning pottering and cleaning whoever's litter trays need doing, grooming the dogs, cleaning up, doing housework etc and then rest in the afternoon.

When the boys come home from school dogs are walked, Poppy gets a hay top up, check on the chooks etc, dogs and cats are fed and then we can have our tea:lol:

I order food on and hay etc on a Friday to be delivered and last the following week.

Yes we have a routine!
They have breakfast at half 8 every morning, while there scoffing I clean there litter tray, fill up their hay rack, change their water and pick up any stray poops they have left around the room overnight.
I always come home at lunchtime to fill up their hay again and check there alright and give them a bit of fuss, if there really lucky they will get some veg, a dandelion or some dried herbs.
Then in the evening I come home and fill up their hay rack and change there litter tray again and sweep out there crate.
Then they TELL me when they want there dinner by circling my feet!
Then before bed they get more hay, clean water and I have another go at picking up stray poos and usually lots of hay off the carpet!

I have a rough routine.

Litter trays get done every other day, just throw away the old stuff, wipe, new newspaper and hay. Then about once a week I do a big clean, usually on a wednesday, their whole shed and aviary gets swept out, trays washed and changed, bowls washed etc etc. Then about once a month I do a deep clean, wipe all the shed walls down, use boiling water to clean the floor etc.

They get fed twice a day, a tablespoon of pellets each morning and night, and fresh hay morning and night. They get a bowl of nice warm water every morning which they love. They usually get breakfast about 10am, and then supper at about 6pm in winter, and 9pm in summer. With treats and attention in between those times of course!

After i've got myself ready for work in the morning the cat and dog get fed and clean water.

Then whilst the dog is let out in the back garden to do his business I feed Missy and her five baby buns in the shed - food, hay and change water. Then I clear up any hay/straw/poo that is on the lino. Then I go over to Leo and he gets food, hay and change his water. This is then repeated when I get home from work.

Litter trays get changed as and when I see fit really, usually every 2-3 days depending on the bun.

I do and full clean out of the hutch, shed and runs every weekend :thumb:

Litter tray gets emptied every other day, full clean when needed as they are really well litter trained.
Pellets topped up when they are empty with a few tablespoons. Fresh veg on a night, we used to do this on a morning, but changed to a night as we have more time. Hay topped up throughout the day, as well as water and apple wood if we have any.
Daisy rabbit has recently learnt to move everything and mess around if she wants something, she is so funny.
The banana routine is as soon as we get one out of the bowl, both are round our feet and crawling up our legs :D

Thats so organised! Mine has changed in the last week since I'm not working or driving and stuck in all day, I go out there in the morning and feed and do litter trays, water & hay then I sort of flit in and out during the day. Every couple of days I do a proper full clean and make sure Joey hasn't eaten all his bedding!

Most of my time at home is spent feeding and looking after the animals - hubby included :roll:

Get up at 5am - and let Harley out for free range time whilst I shower and get ready for work.

Change water, give hay, prepare breakfast for bunnies. Feed and water budgies. Chase Harley round the lounge and back into her hutch. Cuddles with Boris if he's in the mood. Give a treat.

Leave for work at 6.15

Hubby gets up at 6.30am - lets Boris out for his free range time. Feeds bunnies at 7.30am and goes to work.

Get home at 7pm. Let bunnies out - Boris gets free range, Harley into her play pen. Give snack.

Hubby plonks himself down on sofa for the evening.

Feed humans.

Feed and water hamsters and put into balls.

Change litter trays and water and hay.

Clean hutches of stray poops. Wipe up wee where Boris has missed the litter tray (sometimes his bum hangs over the edge if he goes in width ways:roll:)

BIG glass of wine.

Put hamsters away.

Lure bunnies back into hutches with muesli snack.

Bed and sleep by 9.30am.

get up, eat breakfast and then feed the rabbits. Top up their hay, water and sweep up poos. Leave them to it for most of the day and around 10pm just before I go to bed I feed them their dinner :)

Cleaning out (a full clean not just litter trays) remove everything from the shed floor, sweep up poos and hay. If they've wee'd on the floor then I'll mop it (once with bleach solution, once with water, once with vinegar solution) and then dry it off :) Empty the litter tray into the bin, wipe it down and refill. Fill the hay rack up and hang it, sweep the floor again :)roll:) and replace everything. Sweep the aviary floor and I'm done!

Morning
Get up, sweep out hutches/playhouse and clean/replace litter trays.

Usually have to clean the floor of Jo and Toby's playhouse again before putting clean litter tray back in because Jo gets confused and wees on the floor where the litter tray goes whilst it is out being cleaned :roll:

Change water.

Change hay.

Feed pellets.

If I'm going to the office they get their dried forage first thing too...if I'm working at home they get it a bit later.

After work
Feed pellets.

Top up hay.

Change water.

Before bed
Fenugreek crunchie each.

Protexin pro-fibre for those that have it.

Metacam for those that need it.

Weekdays I get up at 6 or 6.30, depending whether starting work at 8.30 or 9...
Let Olly and honey out of their room, and let them potter about for 20 minutes before giving them their breakfast. Then we all have floor snuggles for 5 mins or so before I go for my shower. I then change their litter tray, water, hay racks and brush up the hay off the carpet.

Now it's daisy and Digby time. My partner normally let's them out for free range time in the garden at 7.10, as he goes out for a cig, while I'm in the shower. I then change their water, top up their hay and watch them bomb round the garden until about 8.10, when I give them their breakfast. Then they get shut in.

Then I go back upstairs and give Olly and honey a small pinch of porridge oats - this is the most exciting thing in the world!! :lol: I then have my own breakfast and watch them munching hay. I leave for work about 2 hours after getting up.
Get home from work, Olly and honey have already had their tea, I change their water and top up hay. I then go outside, clean D&D's litter tray, change water and fresh hay in hay rack. They are playing out while I do this. I then get their tea ready (greens) and shut them in for the night with about 2/3 of their tea. After my own tea I go back out with the rest of theirs, which they gobble up, then Digby gets his metacam - he knows this, and comes and asks for it :love: then I go back in and chill for half an hour before Olly and honey get supper at 9.30.

I don't get much time to sit down, and am permanently knackered, but I love them all to bits! :love:

Organised here because otherwise things would never get done! Litter trays are cleaned out on Saturday, Monday and Wednesday, as they don't have litter trays per se it's just a clean out of the cage and hutch. On Saturday they are disinfected too.

Every morning before work water bowls are changed and fresh hay put out and they have breakfast. Pellets are at 6am and 8pm ish, and before I go to work they have a treat each.

When back from work water and hay topped up and after tea I like to spend a little time with them both, give them some forage food and health checks and cuddles.

Supplies are bought from the RSPCA shop nearby once a month, and pellets are bought about every 3 months from Asda. Half a hay bale from the local farm every couple of months and every Sunday OH and I go for a walk for forage.

The bathroom is being swept morning and night when girly is eating to keep it nice and tidy and the living room is hoovered twice a week.

It's all good!

I am very organised, normally :lol:

Morning:

Prepare and give medicine.
Switch overnight used litter tray with clean litter tray which I prepared the night before.
Check hay rack and top up if needed.
Check water and top up if needed.
Feed pellets.
Give spring greens before leaving for work (or midmorning/lunch time if a non-work day).

Evening:

Give a bit of broccoli.
Prepare and give medicine.
Spot clean both litter trays, top up with litter and hay - put one in for overnight and save one for the morning.
Top up hay rack.
Empty water bowl and wipe, refill.
General tidy up of pen if he's made a mess.
Feed pellets.
Feed fenugreek crunchie.
Kisses goodnight!

Then big clean out on Sundays normally.

This is a rough idea of what their routine will be once they are bonded.

Morning, when I get up they get one scoop (four tablespoons) of pellets to share between three, top up of hay in their litter tray.

Evening, same amount of pellets again. Fresh hay with their change of litter tray. Then roughly every other day they get greens from the garden/allotment when its available. I go round with a colander and gather different stuff, wash it and give it to them. When I have a glut of dry-able things, brambles leaves for instance, I wash those and dry them out on a tarp indoors and once dry store them and they get some of that every other day or so in winter. Change water if I haven't done so already.

Cleaning, sweep of their room(s) at least once a day. If they behave and share one litter tray then I will change that every day. I used to change it every other day as I had two pairs and two boxes but I suspect it will need to be done every day with three sharing a box. I make up a new box, newspaper and hay, bring it upstairs, replace the old one which gets taken downstairs and out into the garage. I then empty the hay and poops straight out into a larger tub which goes up the allotment once a week to be emptied on a compost heap. The newspaper goes in a bin bag which lives inside another tub to stop it from stinking the garage out and that gets changed every other week and goes out with the rubbish. Then I rinse the box round with some water and stand it up in the garage to dry ready for the next day.

Big clean, every fortnight I lift their blankets and replace with new ones and put the old ones in the wash. Then once a month I do a big clean and get the hoover out to hoover in the crevices, then I mop the floors. I normally do one room one fortnight and the other the next fortnight.

Supplies, roughly every four to six weeks I buy a bale of hay and a 1.5kg bag of pellets (cost = roughly £9). Newspapers get given to me by a friend who collects them up for me and gives a load to me every few weeks. Treats I buy in shops or off this forum when I see them and have some money.

Vet bills, I save a certain amount every fortnight which automatically goes into their savings account. They even have their own card which I use to pay vet bills with and also their supplies if I don't have cash on me.

Last edited:
I follow a routine every day whch fits in nicely with work. I find if i'm even 10 minutes late in the morning, they trash the bedding. if come home early and it's still their 'sleep time', they look at me as if to say 'what are YOU doing here at this time, go away'!

I thnk bunnies love routine. My Ollie really gets put out if his is changed, bless him.

Back