• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet questions, help please?

Charmednm

Mama Doe
Went to the vet to get poppys ear mites treated, she got a spot on, on the back of her neck, can anyone tell me how this is supposed to be done so i can check what she did was right because she didn't really seem to know what she was doing.

Also what constitutes as a rabbit examination? I was changed 19.50 for her to look in both poppys ears and check her eyes, no teeth check or bottom check just her ears and eyes, should i phone up and complain?

I'm not sure about the 'spot on', but just bumping this up for you.

As regards the examination, I think you are entitled to a fuller examination, but some vets only look at what is wrong with the rabbit, sometimes to minimise stress if the symptoms are quite obvious.

Is it definitely earmites? When my guys have had earmites we've done ear drops. Spot on we've done for fleas.a teeth check would have been helpful but was this an annual check or just a visit for mites? If just a vet visit for mites then the vet checked ear for obvious reasons and eyes I imagine as bad ear mites or even an ear infection that causes bunny to scratch ears and carer to think it's mites, could be deep in the ear and affect the neurological side of things. It sounds like the vet didn't think it was ear mites after all? I'm not a vet but in my experience ear mites need ear drops-the can dural drops kill the mites whereas a spot on surely wouldn't get down the ear and kill mites? If you're uncertain phone the vets tomorrow and say you can't remember what the diagnosis and treatment was. I can only give you my non vets experience of earmites. Sorry.

I have never had a rabbit with ear mites so can't comment regards treatment. But price wise I think £19.50 is very cheap to see a vet. We pay £31 each time!

Your vets is cheaper then mine, mine will charge £28 for a consulation.

I would call the vets just to double check the treatment and what you should be doing :wave:

As regards the examination, I think you are entitled to a fuller examination, but some vets only look at what is wrong with the rabbit, sometimes to minimise stress if the symptoms are quite obvious.

For that price i thought so :/

Is it definitely earmites? When my guys have had earmites we've done ear drops. Spot on we've done for fleas.a teeth check would have been helpful but was this an annual check or just a visit for mites? If just a vet visit for mites then the vet checked ear for obvious reasons and eyes I imagine as bad ear mites or even an ear infection that causes bunny to scratch ears and carer to think it's mites, could be deep in the ear and affect the neurological side of things. It sounds like the vet didn't think it was ear mites after all? I'm not a vet but in my experience ear mites need ear drops-the can dural drops kill the mites whereas a spot on surely wouldn't get down the ear and kill mites? If you're uncertain phone the vets tomorrow and say you can't remember what the diagnosis and treatment was. I can only give you my non vets experience of earmites. Sorry.

Was definitely ear mites, this was the second time shes had them i go in for a check up on friday and from what i can see they are not totally away so im gonna ask for the drops

I have never had a rabbit with ear mites so can't comment regards treatment. But price wise I think £19.50 is very cheap to see a vet. We pay £31 each time!

What does the £31 consist of though? I was £34 something all in but £15 odd was the ear mite treatment a thought the 'examination' was weak for the price

Your vets is cheaper then mine, mine will charge £28 for a consulation.

I would call the vets just to double check the treatment and what you should be doing

Again what do you mean by consultation, what would the vet do during it?

At my vet it's £32 to basically walk into the consultation room so to me £19 is quite cheap. When I go they only 'consult' so to speak for the symptoms I have described, if it was itchy ears for example they wouldn't check ears, to me it would just be more stress etc which bun probably doesn't need.

Hope you get the mites sorted soon.

If I took a rabbit for a specific health issue I would only expect the vet to examine them regarding that issue and anything relevant, I wouldn't expect a full health check unless I'd also asked for that to be done. For instance I took Dinky regarding a weepy eye last week and the vet checked her teeth because that could be relevant to the weepy eye.

I would expect them to do a full health check for a vaccination, and that's usually when they get their dental check, which covers for insurance purposes.

Thanks for all the help, i knew vets were dear but i was shocked by that having only taken poppy (nearly 2) to the vets once since ive had her i was unsure about pricing and whatnot

We charge £27 for a consult and generally the vet will only check what could be wrong with the animal rather than a full health check (normally done at vaccs or at owners request) with regards to earmites I believe demo is normally the spot on that is used. That's what we used for snoopy, 3 treatments all 2 weeks apart from each other to fully clear them. Never heard of ear drops, I was under the impression that putting things into the ears of a bun is bad (I could be wrong).

I was offered ear drops, but the last time poppy had them she got the spot on. Also poppys a fussy bun, you could clap her and groom her till your arm falls off but try and pick her up and she'll be in a huff with you :lol::lol: so thats why the spot on was chosen too

Back