• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is there any disease from birds that can pass to rabbit?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
Is there any disease from birds that can pass to rabbit? I'm going to see a lady who have 60 lovebirds in her house, she's abandon them due to family situation and want to give out those birds for $10 ea. My concern is a house like that is a bit pack w/ 60 birds, although over 10+ yr. ago, my 2 lovebirds is from a breeder, at the time, I don't know anything about breeders, so I bought it from her, and she had 100 lovebirds, and to this date, my lovebird is healthy w/ no disease.

I can't think of anything other than parasites that birds could pass to rabbits.

You may already know all this but
If you're going to buy any of the lovebirds you need to make sure you quarantine them away from your other birds for at least 1 month. Separate room far away from your other birds, wash up after touching/feeding/watering new birds, best to feed ect your first birds everyday before the new ones, etc. Some people even quarantine at a friend's house so the airways are separate. I'd change clothes, wash the clothes and take a shower after coming home from her house too, even if you don't buy any birds.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having 60 lovies as long as they're well cared For. Many people, breeders especially, have 60+ and use aviaries. :) but you're right, if They are packed in There is more of A chance of disease And parasites. Although, the quarantining is a precaution that should be done even if you got the bird from a friend and was sure the bird wasn't sick.

Agree with William here...re quarantine and infection control.

Really unsure about what disease can be passed on...just mites I think...

It will depend on which diseases have spread to where you are located. In Australia the greatest risk with parrots is the zoonotic chlamydiosis, renamed psittacosis when infecting humans. I would suspect it could potentially be transmissible to rabbits although we had a parrot test positive through blood tests but no outward symptoms and had rabbits at the same time. It is at its worst if the birds sneeze as it can be inhaled.

Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease (PBFD) or Avian Circovirus is another but I don't know whether it is zoonotic.

Certainly follow the previous advice for quarantining and check the birds for any odd growth or wetness around the nares as both these diseases as well as feather mites will show up there.

I adopted 2 lovebirds over there. They are very healthy looking. Their coat of feather is nice and smooth. Eyes are bright, nose has no discharge, everything else looks good. So I have quarantine them downstair and they'll be down there for 30 days. That place is very well look after, the cage is clean, and I look at the bird poos on the newspaper, they looks okay too.

Thanks for all the input

Back