• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alice has lost weight :( - Help needed!!

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
Another trip to a rabbit savvy vet this morning with Alice!
Again have her a clean bill of Health and teeth are OK.
However, she has gone from 900g to 750g. Vet felt her and said that she didn't feel underweight but to bring her back if she lost anymore.
How can I stop her losing anymore?
She has a REALLY healthy apetite, their daily food intake consists of a handful of redigrass for breakfast, plenty of hay throughout the day, they get 2 eggcupsfull of burges excell adult pellets in the evening between the 2 of them, occasionally small amounts of veg, herbs or dandelions if there about, then a small amount of dried forage. I also always watch them eat to make sure there both getting similar amounts.
What am I doing wrong :(

Last edited:
Her eye is absolutely fine now, pooing normal, eating like a horse!
She is showing no signs of being unwell at all like she was before and I'm watching her like a hawk, but I'm really worried about her still.
Not noticed she is drinking any more than usual, she shares a bowl and haven't had to fill it up any more than normal.

I've just ordered some of the pellets to try thanks :D

Hope the pro-fibre pellets help. Spenser has them as a supplement - not that he has a weight issue, but he has had digestive trouble in the past and I still give him a sprinkling most days.

Thank you :D
Fingers crossed! Feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall with her at the moment, vets are making me feel like a hypochondriac but I've got it in my head somethings wrong :cry:

Fingers crossed! Feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall with her at the moment, vets are making me feel like a hypochondriac but I've got it in my head somethings wrong :cry:

I hope little Alice will be OK, but I don't think you are being a hypochondriac. The weight she has lost is cerianly not insignificant for such a small bunny. Hopefully pro-fribre will help, although you miht find Bear acquires a taste for them too. ;)

I hope little Alice will be OK, but I don't think you are being a hypochondriac. The weight she has lost is cerianly not insignificant for such a small bunny. Hopefully pro-fribre will help, although you miht find Bear acquires a taste for them too. ;)

Bear has a taste for EVERYTHING so I'm sure he will :lol:
Thanks for your words of support

My rabbit-savvy vet always tells me I am entitled to panic - much better that than ignoring something that could turn out to be serious.

If there is nothing wrong I've heard the vet care weight management is good for rabbits who have been ill and need to put on weight.

HTML:
I would be very concerned about the amount of weight she's lost over what time frame has se lost this weight? How old is she now? you can try adding barley rings and fattening treat to her diet but it won't fix the cause but would be beneficial if she needed to go under anethetic or if she gets cold over winter

I'm in Blandford and struggling to find a good vet I may well go and see John Chitty!!

My rabbit needs to put on weight also, due to her not being able to digest her food properly because of back teeth problems :-(
I have tried loads of things over the last few weeks - oatmeal twice a day, some alfalfa hay, fruit and increased her pellet intake. The vet advised me to increase her pellets as they have the most calories in them. All these are not options I would normally take as they are probably not the healthiest but sadly for my little one it is a case of if she doesn't put weight on she will continue to lose it and get thinner and thinner :-(
I don't know if any of these options would help with Alice...it sounds like it is important she puts weight on, whatever the cause of her losing it.

have you tried just giving more pellets? I know that most people say an eggcupful but maybe she has a fast metabolism or something and needs more?

have you tried just giving more pellets? I know that most people say an eggcupful but maybe she has a fast metabolism or something and needs more?

Yep am feeding some for breakfast and some for dinner now, also feeding them sepperatley as Bear eats faster than her!

These arrived today http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/protex...bits-800g.html

But it doesn't actually say how many to feed! It just says sprinkle liberally over normal food or as directed by a vet!
Any ideas how much I should be giving?

I clicked on the link, but a picture of a dog supplements came up! :? If you have the same pro-fibre pellets as I have for Spenser, there is a scoop in the tub (you might have to fish for it). I would sprinkly a scoop on her normal noms and see how she gets on. :wave:

I clicked on the link, but a picture of a dog supplements came up! :? If you have the same pro-fibre pellets as I have for Spenser, there is a scoop in the tub (you might have to fish for it). I would sprinkly a scoop on her normal noms and see how she gets on. :wave:

Thanks!! Scoop was right at the bottom, don't think I would have found that for a week or 2! :shock:
And it's defiantly not dig supplements :lol:

Back