• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dexter is really, really ill

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I don't know if my sister has posted.

After he choked he has had a massive infection in his nose. It was green. He was put on baytril by the vet and it went from green to yellow to white, but didn't clear up. His eyes are now running. The vet believes he might have an underlying problem, I assume something that his body has been keeping on top of, but with the stress of the choking his body just can't handle it. He dropped in weight to just 1kg. The vet thinks maybe an abscess in his nasal passages. He's putting Dexter on penicillin injections, they're ordering them in and will have them tomorrow, but after the weekend if there's not much change he wants to put him under and do x rays and file his teeth down (they're a bit long). My sister is so scared of putting him under in the state he's in so we're all hoping the penicillin injections start to work quickly!

I'm not sure what's going to happen. Any advice or good wishes would be appreciated. :(

IMG_20121112_115300.jpg

Last edited:
Oh poor guy! :(:(:(
Vibes that it's just a stubborn infection that the abx clear up or dental irritation. I'll keep Dexter and your sis in my thoughts and prayers.

Poor boy :cry:

Would the Vet consider holding off on the GA until Dexter has been on Penicillin for a few days, maybe doing 3-4 days of Daily Penicillin to really hit the infection hard. More risky re gut dysbiosis, but maybe a risk that has to be taken. I have had a few Rabbits on daily Penicillin injections for a week with no ill effect

Would Dexter tolerate being nebulised ? Using some F10 perhaps ?

Also, using some Tiacil (eye drops) may be useful. It can also get into the nasal passages via the nasolacrimal ducts,as long as they are not blocked. If they are maybe the Vet could make an attempt at flushing them...??? That would mean some Gentamicin (abx in Tiacil) would get directly into the site of infection ??

Sending vibes for him xx

So sorry to hear about Dexter :(.

Maybe a bit of the food he choked on got caught in his throat, and has caused the problem, since the discharge started green.

Loads and loads of vibes for him xx

Firstly, Thankyou all for your support and positive vibes! I am going to the vets today to pick up the penicillin injections

Poor boy :cry:

Would the Vet consider holding off on the GA until Dexter has been on Penicillin for a few days, maybe doing 3-4 days of Daily Penicillin to really hit the infection hard. More risky re gut dysbiosis, but maybe a risk that has to be taken. I have had a few Rabbits on daily Penicillin injections for a week with no ill effect

Would Dexter tolerate being nebulised ? Using some F10 perhaps ?

Also, using some Tiacil (eye drops) may be useful. It can also get into the nasal passages via the nasolacrimal ducts,as long as they are not blocked. If they are maybe the Vet could make an attempt at flushing them...??? That would mean some Gentamicin (abx in Tiacil) would get directly into the site of infection ??

Sending vibes for him xx

We tried to flush him out yesterday but only managed to get a little bit through one eye, the other was completely blocked :(
I told the vet I wanted to try him on the penicillin for a few days first so we are re-assessing the situation on Monday. But to be honest I'm a little hesitant to do full on penicillin every day as the poor bun has lost so much weight over the last week and I know penicillin is very strong. However, I will talk to my vet about it and see what he says.
As for nebulising, he probably wouldn't mind it but with all these sudden vet bills, already with almost 100 pounds on visits and a possible op for 300, i'm not sure I can afford one.
I just really hope he reacts as well to the penicillin as he did last time.
Because right now I'm at a horrible coin flip of do I wait things out and try and improve his weight before the operation or do I do it now in case he gets any worse.

Thanks for the advice xxx

Firstly, Thankyou all for your support and positive vibes! I am going to the vets today to pick up the penicillin injections

We tried to flush him out yesterday but only managed to get a little bit through one eye, the other was completely blocked :(
I told the vet I wanted to try him on the penicillin for a few days first so we are re-assessing the situation on Monday. But to be honest I'm a little hesitant to do full on penicillin every day as the poor bun has lost so much weight over the last week and I know penicillin is very strong. However, I will talk to my vet about it and see what he says.
As for nebulising, he probably wouldn't mind it but with all these sudden vet bills, already with almost 100 pounds on visits and a possible op for 300, i'm not sure I can afford one.
I just really hope he reacts as well to the penicillin as he did last time.
Because right now I'm at a horrible coin flip of do I wait things out and try and improve his weight before the operation or do I do it now in case he gets any worse.

Thanks for the advice xxx

I wish I could give you my nebuliser for a bit but it comes with a Grim attached to it. :(

Oh that photo shows how cute Dexter is but is very sad too.

Lots of vibes for Dexter, what a beautiful rabbit. Hope it all works out and he gets well again.

Hey :) I'm sorry Dexter is so ill, but hope you find a way to make him better. I've got a bunny on Penicillin. He hadn't lost must weight but was hardly eating and was sorry for himself. He's been on daily Penicillin now for 5 weeks I think, and is now as bright as a button- it's not beaten his abscess but he has literally had no side effects at all and clearly feels much better in himself.

Not sure what I can do from here but if there is anything then please let me know.

Hope Simba and Little are doing well :)

Fingers crossed for Dexter...little angel xx
Can you try and get his weight up at all, sure this would help in terms of his strength and would probably make him feel better too.
I use oatmeal, pureed organic baby fruit (!), alfalfa hay and pellets to maintain my bunny's weight (she is also an unwell little girl :-().
If you add some water to the pellets and heat in the micro for a few seconds sometimes this encourages them to eat also...I have also found that handfeeding helps Honey to eat more. Time-consuming but worth it!
Goodluck, all the best for tomorrow.

Just a quick update, hopefully my sister can give a more detailed update later (she's really ill at the moment). Dexter is a little better. He's had everything flushed again and was put on some antibiotic injections and the Tiacil eye drops. The vet seems really good and was completely open to all the ideas suggested here. Dex is having a checkup tomorrow to see if he's put on weight and to have his eyes flushed again.

Back