• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Little Eddie just got nutered now very worried!

Kimmie

Young Bun
Hi All
Please help!
Had eddie nuetered today - he seemed fine when we got him home but he now seems like he s trying to be sick and he s breathing noisily!! So worried as we can t do anything til the morning!! He seems a litle bit better now thought I was gonna lose him earlier!!
Kim

You can do something before the morning - your vet will have, or will be affiliated with, an emergency service. If you ring their usual number you should either be put through to them automatically or get an answering machine message telling you the number to call. They can give you free advice over the phone, and you can also take your rabbit to see them for an emergency, obviously consultations are more expensive out-of-hours.

Rabbits cannot be sick, so that is not what he is doing, but it does sound like he might be mouth-breathing, which is very bad. I'd advise you to ring the emergency vet straight away to see what they advise.

You should also let them know (and it might be helpful to post it here too) what he has eaten and drunk since he got home, and whether he has weed and pooed okay and whether they were normal. Also check your invoice for a Metacam (may also be called meloxicam) injection to check he has been given pain relief.

Last edited:
Eddie

Thanks very much for that - I tried the emergency number and it s out of service!!
Have been sitting with him - he seemes a lot better - has eaten a bit of kale in water -
now sleeping - will take him in first thing tommorrow -
kim

Eddie seems a lot better!

Eddie seems a lot better this morning - just waiting to ring vets. Don t think he likes being indoors - really want to get him back in his hutch. Is this a good idea? Is it too early to put straw in? Thanks!

I'm so glad he is doing better. What do his wounds look like? I ask that because if they are swollen, weeping or bleeding, then it would be more of a risk to put him on straw than if they are starting to scan and shrinking back already.

What vets did you use in the end?

Eddie

Hi
Used Kinfauns in Clacton - they seem very good! Just phoned them am taking him in to the Harwich branch this morning - a lot nearer as I don t drive! - just to be safe! He s started to groom himself now which I hope is a good sign!!:wave:

You could use soft bedding ,old towels, blankets etc and shredded newspaper instead of straw 'till he heals up.Hope he improves.

Glad Eddie is feeling better today. When you go to the vets this morning it would be worth checking what's happening with their out of hours number, in case you need them again one day. It's really not good that it wasn't working. xx

Hi!
Pleased to say Eddie is fine! Saw Caro at Kinfauns Dovercourt - she checked him out - wounds look fine - she thinks he got frightened after coming out of the anathestic when I to my shame should have probably left him alone and not given him a small amount of hay to nibble on when I thought he seemed ok! (he already had pellets in there) So relieved - He s back now in his hutch and run stuffed with shredded paper and back to his old self - and Veronica - who s next to him seems so happy too! Am a new rescue bunny owner - would never have forgiven myself if the worst had happened. Now have to wait til I can hopefully bring them together!:love::D

Hi!
Pleased to say Eddie is fine! Saw Caro at Kinfauns Dovercourt - she checked him out - wounds look fine - she thinks he got frightened after coming out of the anathestic when I to my shame should have probably left him alone and not given him a small amount of hay to nibble on when I thought he seemed ok! (he already had pellets in there) So relieved - He s back now in his hutch and run stuffed with shredded paper and back to his old self - and Veronica - who s next to him seems so happy too! Am a new rescue bunny owner - would never have forgiven myself if the worst had happened. Now have to wait til I can hopefully bring them together!:love::D

Don't worry about giving him hay and stuff straight away. All mine have that, and much more, as soon as they come home, so no worries there. I find what she said odd, but the most important thing is that he is brighter and happier today :)

Good news,glad he's okay.All buns are different.I remember when we got my late girl Cleo spayed,we were all ready for her lying down and feeling sorry for herself etc.her husbun was out and about in the living room so we brought her in her big cage so that she was in his company.I opened the door to feed and water her and out she lept! she ran round the room binkying like mad,we were in a panic in case she opened her wound.However she was fine and lay beside her husbun Rio and groomed him..he being the caring husbun lay there and let her har!:)

Back