• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long before we know it myxi or not? Please help

Bungle bunny

Mama Doe
My bun is on antibiotics, this is the 4th day.

We took him to the vet because suddenly his eys looked very sore and he was sneezing a little. The vet said that he wouldnt do a blood test as it takes 2 weeks to get the result and if it myxi, he wont live that long. :cry:

4 days on and his eyes look worse one min and then better and later worse again.

how long do the meds take to work?

the vet said try to give him the meds for 10 days before taking him back but I dont want him to suffer if it is myxi. When do you think we will know? If it is, how long before he is in too much pain/

I am so scared for him. Please can someone help me?

He is still eating at the moment.

thanks for any help you can give

Does he have swollen genitals ? Vet said slightly but that was also to be expected with a viral infection

A swollen nose ? It looks a little pink but not swollen so much that you would really notice if there were no other symptoms

When was his last Myxomatosis vaccination given ?

1. Vet said slightly but that was also to be expected with a viral infection

2. It looks a little pink but not swollen so much that you would really notice if there were no other symptoms

3. Its due next month

Vaccinated rabbits often survive myxi. His vaccination may be due next month, but when was the last one actually given? Practices advise differently about how long betwee vaccines. Also did he have the dual or single vaccine? :wave:

Vaccinated rabbits often survive myxi. His vaccination may be due next month, but when was the last one actually given? Practices advise differently about how long betwee vaccines. Also did he have the dual or single vaccine? :wave:

Single and he had it last Dec.

Have you any idea how long it takes to come out if it is myxi?

Its just that I am so worried that he is suffering

Thank you

Single and he had it last Dec.

Have you any idea how long it takes to come out if it is myxi?

Its just that I am so worried that he is suffering

Thank you

The single dose vaccine only offers protection for 6 months, so he may actually have very little if any protection from it by now

http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/products_public/nobivac_myxo/090_product_datasheet.aspx

This is the time scale for the development of the Myxomatosis virus in an infected Rabbit

Pathogenesis of myxomatosis in lagomorphs

The myxoma virus is usually transmitted passively by arthropods feeding on the rabbit (often the mosquito or rabbit flea). There is no replication of the virus within the vector. (B601.13.w13)
Replication occurs at the inoculation site within the epidermis and dermis. (B209.8.w8, B600.16.w16, B601.13.w13, B603.3.w3).
In the natural Sylvilagus host, there is no systemic phase of infection. (B209.8.w8)
However, in Oryctolagus cuniculus, the virus then spreads within leucocytes (rather than plasma) to the regional lymph node where it undergoes more replication and attains a high titre. (B209.8.w8, B600.16.w16, B601.13.w13, B603.3.w3)
Often a skin lesion will develop four to five days post inoculation and then enlarge to 3 cm by ten days post inoculation. (B600.16.w16, B603.3.w3)
Viral replication in the regional lymph node results in cell associated viraemia and generalised infection with dissemination to the skin away from the inoculation site, spleen, mucosal surfaces (e.g. conjunctiva), other lymph nodes, testes, liver and lungs. The replication occurs within the lymphoid system. (B600.16.w16, B601.13.w13, B603.3.w3)
By day 9 there is eyelid swelling (the eyes may be completely closed) and secondary conjunctivitis with semipurulent ocular discharge. (B600.16.w16, B603.3.w3)
Secondary lesions occur throughout the body especially on the lips, nares, eyelids,
Purulent swollen lesions develop on the mucocutaneous junctions and the base of the ears. (B603.3.w3)
Although the virus may be shed in discharges, actual transmission by close contact is thought to be very unusual. (B601.13.w13)
Virulent disease in farmed colonies often leads to spread by inhalation and thus a primary pulmonary site of infection. This results in pneumonia and a secondary pasteurellosis at seven to twenty days instead of the characteristic skin masses. (B603.3.w3)
Myxomatosis in colonies may also present as rhinitis and ocular discharge. Transmission of the virus by aerosol is much more likely to give the affected animal respiratory signs than transmission by insect. (B600.13.w13)

Taken from here:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/viral/Myxomatosis.htm

The single dose vaccine only offers protection for 6 months, so he may actually have very little if any protection from it by now

http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/products_public/nobivac_myxo/090_product_datasheet.aspx

This is the time scale for the development of the Myxomatosis virus in an infected Rabbit

Pathogenesis of myxomatosis in lagomorphs

The myxoma virus is usually transmitted passively by arthropods feeding on the rabbit (often the mosquito or rabbit flea). There is no replication of the virus within the vector. (B601.13.w13)
Replication occurs at the inoculation site within the epidermis and dermis. (B209.8.w8, B600.16.w16, B601.13.w13, B603.3.w3).
In the natural Sylvilagus host, there is no systemic phase of infection. (B209.8.w8)
However, in Oryctolagus cuniculus, the virus then spreads within leucocytes (rather than plasma) to the regional lymph node where it undergoes more replication and attains a high titre. (B209.8.w8, B600.16.w16, B601.13.w13, B603.3.w3)
Often a skin lesion will develop four to five days post inoculation and then enlarge to 3 cm by ten days post inoculation. (B600.16.w16, B603.3.w3)
Viral replication in the regional lymph node results in cell associated viraemia and generalised infection with dissemination to the skin away from the inoculation site, spleen, mucosal surfaces (e.g. conjunctiva), other lymph nodes, testes, liver and lungs. The replication occurs within the lymphoid system. (B600.16.w16, B601.13.w13, B603.3.w3)
By day 9 there is eyelid swelling (the eyes may be completely closed) and secondary conjunctivitis with semipurulent ocular discharge. (B600.16.w16, B603.3.w3)
Secondary lesions occur throughout the body especially on the lips, nares, eyelids,
Purulent swollen lesions develop on the mucocutaneous junctions and the base of the ears. (B603.3.w3)
Although the virus may be shed in discharges, actual transmission by close contact is thought to be very unusual. (B601.13.w13)
Virulent disease in farmed colonies often leads to spread by inhalation and thus a primary pulmonary site of infection. This results in pneumonia and a secondary pasteurellosis at seven to twenty days instead of the characteristic skin masses. (B603.3.w3)
Myxomatosis in colonies may also present as rhinitis and ocular discharge. Transmission of the virus by aerosol is much more likely to give the affected animal respiratory signs than transmission by insect. (B600.13.w13)

Taken from here:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/viral/Myxomatosis.htm

Thanks Jane

I took him to the vet again this morning, I was convinced that this would be the end for him. I made up my mind last night, he looked so sad and despite the meds was getting worse.

Our vet is very rabbit savi. She checked him over and said that she does feel that its myxi. However, she said that she has seen a few buns recover if they are strong. Herbs is very strong, he lives in a huge enclosure and is always running and digging, he has made the most amazing burrow.

I broke down in the vets. I really thought that I wouldnt have a choice, I couldnt bear to watch him in pain. We decided that he would be given pain killers, continue with the meds and monitor him closely for the next couple of days. She also gave me some recovery just as I mentioned that his eating has slowed right down.

He has been amazing today. He has eaten a full sachet of recovery, and has been quite lively. I have made an appointment with the vet for Monday evening.

Do you know of any buns who have survived?

Thanks so much for your help. I am going to post this on rabbit chat as I would like more people to see it.

My 3 showed symptoms in September growths on noses and ears
and weepy eyes but all survived they were just due a six month vaccination.
But then had to wait 2 months before fit enough to be vaccinated.
Unfortunaetly we lost Mabel through something else but Molly and Smokey
have never looked healthier.
As long as they are eating i think that is a good sign.
Fingers crossed.

Back