• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to make Acorn eat slower.

I<3Rabbits

Mama Doe
I wasn't sure if this went in diet and digestion or Health so I just picked this one :?
Any ways I know it sounds like a stupid question because there rabbits but Acorn (f) eats so fast, she eats every meal as its her last, she wasn't a rescue so I know she has never been with out food and jack came from the same place and he's fine. I'm Mainly scared when she eats her pellets. I've heard a lot of choking threads lately and I'm so scared that she's going to choke. I've read all the choking threads about what to do but I'm scared that if she does choke I'll do something wrong or not right:( so does anyone have any ideas on how to make her slow down.

You can scatter feed,just scatter it around the floor or mix it in with a pile of hay. The bun can't eat as quick then as it has to search out every single bit.

Otherwise you could use treat balls which again make bunsters work for their food and they dispense food slowly (ish)!!!

And I know it's generally for dogs but there is a food bowl with not spikes, but like turrets inside the bowl, making it harder for a dog to gulp its food. Whether they would work for a rabbit I have no idea, but it might be worth a shot.

you could always add warm water to the pellets, mash them and make her lap it up.

Most rabbits pounce on their food its a good way to tell there well!

You could also feed half in the morning and half in the evening little and often to reduce overloading her guts with fatty pellets

Back