• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Drinking lots and now weeing everywhere

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Hi RU,
Got my little Nibbler bunny on a daily dose of metacam for arthritis in his spine, following an injury when he was younger. I know it can cause some kidney issues, which is why this is playing on my mind.

He has started to drink loads...like 2 bowls of water in 24 hours. Much much more than usual. Tat in itself wasn't too much a problem, but he is now losing his litter training - always been spot on with that. Sometimes it's just his bum is hanging over the litter tray, but more an more often he just isn't anywhere near the tray. I can't keep up with the cleaning and as he is a house rabbit it's not nice at all!

He has had some issues with leaving his soft poos too, mostly on my carpet, so we added probiotics, which helped a little, but not fully. Sometimes he just lets them drop, sometimes they're all over his tail.

Got an appointment for tomorrow, but just so I'm forearmed, does this sound like a UTI, or kidney problems, or the arthritis?

Thanks RU

The excessive drinking and urination may be related to either kidney or liver problems. It could also be due to a UTI or bladder sludge. The latter being a real possibility if he has become less mobile due to his arthritis

His loss of litter tray training may be in part due to his arthritis, especially if the tray has high sides which he may find hard to hop into.

Is he losing weight ?

I had thought about the sides of the tray being too high, but he is bounding about all over the house still with no "apparent" problems. I do have a low sided one I can use, it's just in vinegar right now as it used to be another buns. We'll see how that goes.

Been out for a few hours and his cage is going to need another change already! 3 on the floor. 1 in the tray. Hmm.

Would sludge be seen in his wee? It's just most of the ones I'm seeing are nice and clear?

Milly drank lots prior to her sludge diagnosis. Her wee always seemed fine-the point s the sludge is inside the bladder. Is his bum area wet at all or pooey? Milly got wet and also got funny about her litter tray-she dug all the litter out into the floor. Now she frequently gets cyst its and is very tender to the touch 'down below'. I got xrays done and the sludge showed up on the xray. Since Milly's been on meds she's not drank lots as she did. Is there anything else that is unusual about his litter habits?

His tail does have some soft poo stuck (but not wet at all) and he is randomly leaving them all over my carpet.... But nothing different about his normal poo and wee. Poo in tray as usual, just most of wee outside of tray now.

Appetite is the same and I can't see that he has lost weight but I'll get an accurate weight at vets tomorrow.

Thanks everyone. We'll see what the vet can figure out.

Back