• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Incontinence problems

tobyjones

Young Bun
Hi, my 8 year old buck has had a rough time recently.

I was told by a vet a couple of months ago that his kidneys could be on the way out, however, the little man is still fighting on.

However, he is incontinent, I don't know whether its due to his arthritis or kidney problems.

I have had to bath his back end a few times now with rabbit shampoo, but I find that his fur takes such a long time to dry because, especially under his tail, legs etc where air doesn't get too easily.
I find towel drying doesn't do the job enough, and he understandably he hates the hairdryer on.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, as he's a house rabbit our lounge floor is starting to look a little ragged with lots of wet patches being cleaned up.
When he was very ill he stopped using the litter tray, so I put puppy pads down. Now that his mobility has increased a bit he is weeing in other places. Would it be worth re-introducing the litter tray, or is there another possibility. I don’t want to confine him to small space or room.

I would reintroduce the litter tray annd see if you have success. Otherwise I have no other advice.

My 10 year old bun was incontinent (now a Bridge bun, lived to be 11) and I ended up putting vet bed down with puppy pads underneath it to draw the urine away from bun's feet and body.
If your bun has arthritis, it may be too painful for him to jump in and out of the litter tray - you could try cutting the front off, so as he can just walk in and out of it. You could also ask your vet about a tablet called Oxycare, which can sometimes help with incontinence, but I'm not sure if this can be used in buns with kidney disease. I believe in the end my bun's incontinence was casued through EC - and I ended up having to have bun pts in September this year at 11 years old. If he is also wobbly on his back legs and incontinent, it may be worth mentioning EC to your vet and treating for it to be on the safe side.

Thanks, I did mention EC to my vet, but she didn't think that was the problem.
His arthritus seems to be the main problem, I did try the cut down litter tray before, but he still didn't use it. It may be a case of trying again as he has perked up in the last few weeks - thanks to Critical Care feed and Saline fluids every couple of days.

I will look into the Oxycare, thanks!

Back