• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you know when a rabbit flop is good or bad?

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Normally I associate a rabbit stretching out full length (on their front - not a sideways flop) with them being really relaxed. However, I seem to remember reading that it can also be a sign of pain. How is it possible to tell which it is, for example if a rabbit is hunched and only flops with metacam, is this a good sign or a bad one? :?

Would really be interested in RU's views on this, and it might be useful to others, hopefully... :wave:

Last edited:
Normally I associate a rabbit stretching out full length (on their front - not a sideways flop) with them being really relaxed. However, I seem to remember reading that it can also be a sign of pain. How is it possible to tell which it is, for example if a rabbit is hunched and only flops with metacam, is this a good sign or a bad one? :?

Would really be interested in RU's views on this, and it might be useful to others, hopefully... :wave:

When a Rabbit flops with pain it is quite obviously different from a 'relaxed flop'. They tend to keep shifting about, their ears are unlikely to be in the 'relaxed' position, probably more upright and alert. There eyes may be widened, their respiratory rate may be increased and the muscles along their back are likely to be very tense.

If a Rabbit only flops out in a relaxed way after Metacam but without it is 'hunched' I would suspect that is indicative of pain which is being helped by the Metacam.

When a Rabbit flops with pain it is quite obviously different from a 'relaxed flop'. They tend to keep shifting about, their ears are unlikely to be in the 'relaxed' position, probably more upright and alert. There eyes may be widened, their respiratory rate may be increased and the muscles along their back are likely to be very tense.

If a Rabbit only flops out in a relaxed way after Metacam but without it is 'hunched' I would suspect that is indicative of pain which is being helped by the Metacam.

Thank you very much indeed. :thumb:

At the risk of sounding stupid :oops:, what is the relaxed position for ears? I assume it must differ for lops and uppy-eared buns... :wave:

Back