• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Possible ear mites AGAIN!!

Charmednm

Mama Doe
Does anyone have rabbits with an uppy ear?

This is the second time this year poppys had ear mites in her uppy ear (well i think so vets on friday) just wondering anyone elses rabbits had it?

I've had mine for about 18 months and they've both had mites twice. Both in the uppy ears but my one rabbit only has one uppy ear, she still had them in both, but was worse in the uppy.

Vet said it could be the sawdust, or because I had the hutch under a tree. Moved the hutch from under the tree and so far *fingers crossed* they haven't had them again yet.

Baby Jacob came from the RSPCA and had such lousy ears he got a terrible infection and nearly died. I don't know if we really got rid of them each time but they plagued him for a good couple of years. Fleas too. Weird. Hope you get shot of them once and for all. Are her ears really clean-even deep down as maybe they're not being killed properly each time?

If you have 2 rabbits together and only one has got the mites, they should both be treated. While they are being treated it is a good idea to remove them from their hutch so that any mites have time to die off. This can take up to 6 weeks during which time you can give it a thorough clean. If you have somewhere they can live temporarily this must be cleaned out every day so that eventually the rabbits and their environment have become mite-free.

Now that i have one with lop ears and one with'uppy ears'.. I take it Willow with uppy ears is more prone than lops.. How do you know they have them ? are they very obvious or are there symptoms I should watch out for?

Fee xx

I was trying to find a picture of mild ear mites this was the best i could find, but this is after a good couple of weeks.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1...w=230&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0,i:93

With poppy i noticed when i gave her te usual big claps, and rubs behind her ears and neck, when i got to the ear with mites she would shake me off, she wouldnt let me near her ear to look in but due to her having the uppy ear i positioned some veg so she woould be facing that way eating it and i could clearly see into her ear and it was very red and crusty right at the bottom, the last time it travelled much further up her ear before i saw it or even knew what it was

If you have 2 rabbits together and only one has got the mites, they should both be treated. While they are being treated it is a good idea to remove them from their hutch so that any mites have time to die off. This can take up to 6 weeks during which time you can give it a thorough clean. If you have somewhere they can live temporarily this must be cleaned out every day so that eventually the rabbits and their environment have become mite-free.

I dont actually have somewhere for her to live elsewhere but i am currently saving up for a new hutch for her so when i eventually get it, im going to put the spot on a couple of days before shes in the new hutch just to make sure shes not carrying anything in with her :)

Thanks for all the advice everyone :)

Back