• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jimby and Cookie

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Ok I have scared myself... Just saw on a website that the average life expectincy for a dwarf lop is 5 years?! I thought it was 8+?
Also this is bugging me, can anyone comfirm that Jimby and Cookie are dwarf lops? They are quite big

When I first got rabbits I thought 5 years was about average life expectancy but that information is either very old or just plain wrong. From information I've read more recently 8 would be more likely (which scares me as I have an 8 year old dwarf lop who is everything to me!).

Do you know how much J and C weigh? looking at their picture dwarf lop seems most likely. Mine (8 of them) are between 2.4kg and 3kg.

5 years seems to be around the time that problems tend to show, (sort of like middle age in people, cats, dogs, etc), but that doesn't mean it's how long they will live. Life expectancy has so many things to take into account, like home environment, vet ability/knowledge, genetics, luck, etc). Even with an average life expectancy it doesn't mean the bunnies will live to that age; they could have a shorter life, or a long life.

Try not to worry about what that says because it's not relevant to your bunnies. Just enjoy today.

5 years seems to be around the time that problems tend to show, (sort of like middle age in people, cats, dogs, etc), but that doesn't mean it's how long they will live. Life expectancy has so many things to take into account, like home environment, vet ability/knowledge, genetics, luck, etc). Even with an average life expectancy it doesn't mean the bunnies will live to that age; they could have a shorter life, or a long life.

Try not to worry about what that says because it's not relevant to your bunnies. Just enjoy today.

^^^^^^^^ That

Last time they were weighed
Jims- 2.52kg
Cookie-2.28kg
It is really scary, I know what you mean. Jimby and Cookie mean the world to me, with every birthday that passes I get more scared, it would destroy me to loose them!

Don't worry so much. Cutie-pie will be 7 in a few months and she is fine. Had her spayed at 5 and a half and a dental. I expect her to be around for a few more years. She weighs about 2.25 kilos.

It's different for every rabbit and you can never predict what's going to happen. Enjoy the time you have with them. It's a waste if you just spend it worrying about things you can't control.

It's different for every rabbit and you can never predict what's going to happen. Enjoy the time you have with them. It's a waste if you just spend it worrying about things you can't control.

Exactly. No Rabbit lives forever and it is very likely that we will all outlive our own Rabbits. But to spend so much time thinking about them dying detracts from making the most of them whilst they are here. Death is a fact of life, we cant have one without the other.

I just lost my first ever bunny who was a mini lop - he was 10 1/2.

I have another who is 11 1/2

Stop reading about all of this as it's only firing up your OCD. Live in the present and enjoy your life - you are worrying it all away.

I find that many people think rabbits are old at 4-5, but so many rabbits (even not particularly well-cared for ones) long outlive this assumption.

As others have said, enjoy your bunnies in the present.

It is really scary, I know what you mean. Jimby and Cookie mean the world to me, with every birthday that passes I get more scared, it would destroy me to loose them!

If it helps any, I adopted a young rabbit (Little Dot) aged 5 months because I couldn't face the grieving often so I thought if I get them as young as possible I don't have to go through it as often. I lost Dot aged 7 months only 10 weeks later. I haven't cared how old any rabbit is that I've adopted since as that's changed my whole way of thinking. My most recent addition is Dinky who was five when adopted and I just think we're here for the rest of the journey together, however long that may be.

Artie, who is now 8 had life saving surgery at 4 years and then again at nearly 7 years. When he had his kidney removed 15 months ago I never expected him to still be here now. Every day is a bonus. Yes it will hurt like hell when he's gone but I'm just incredibly grateful I've got this extra time with him.

Like others have said, just enjoy them and know when they do go that they had the very best they could and that they've been so lucky :love::love:

If you spend all your time worrying about them not being there then when they aren't there you will always regret wasting their life worrying about them not being there.

Have you tried mindfulness skills? I've linked you to them before but not sure if you took that on board at the time.

If you spend all your time worrying about them not being there then when they aren't there you will always regret wasting their life worrying about them not being there.

Have you tried mindfulness skills? I've linked you to them before but not sure if you took that on board at the time.

very wise words Sky! Im not sure, would you mind linking me again please.

I wouldn't consider 5 very old. Rabbits can and often do live 10-12 years (and sometimes longer). I guess 5 would be middle aged with 7-8 being "senior".

i can remember crying at the computer when i read that the average life span of a french lop is 4 my poor poor storm :cry:

this was 7 years ago :D

i do worry a lot now, but your buns are still young. love them and enjoy them.
non of us know how much time we have on this earth. lets just make the most of it while we can xxx

Back