• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

outdoor rabbits

gwaterhouse

Wise Old Thumper
Does anybody let their rabbits out in the dark? With an outside light on?

I've not done it, but they're getting less and less time out their hitch with the dark evenings and me being at work and I feel like I'm doing bad by them. Just wondered what peoples onions of it was, to me it seems dangerous... :(

Only if you are out watching them. A Fox will think nothing of taking a Rabbit whether there is light or not. I had a Fox sitting on my doorstep during the night. There were lights on and lots of noise.

Personally I would never risk leaving Rabbits free range and unsupervised in a garden at any time

Are there foxes around? If no, will they come in when you want them to. Depending on the rabbit, some get frightened in the dark and hide and remember rabbits can't see in the dark so have to rely on their ears and nose. It's dodgy, only you know your rabbits and garden.

My gut is against it, purely because if anything was to happen then it would be my fault. They're only ever nut out like maximum of twice a week, weather pending obviously.

Hopefully they will still I've love me, well zoid will, I don't think may ever will love me :lol:

Mine play out from us getting home to 10pm when I shut them in. they have no problem seeing, they still run around without bumping into anything, after all they eat their carrots so can see in the dark:lol:

Follow your gut because that is telling you the right course of action for your bunnies and situation.

I've only done it when absolutely necessary (like when trying to perk Dopey 2 up last week) and have always been out there with them, but then, I don't leave them unsupervised and out during the day, if the bunnies are out, then I am there too.

Follow your gut because that is telling you the right course of action for your bunnies and situation.

I've only done it when absolutely necessary (like when trying to perk Dopey 2 up last week) and have always been out there with them, but then, I don't leave them unsupervised and out during the day, if the bunnies are out, then I am there too.

Me too. All too often people say 'oh I have never seen a Fox, there are none round here'. Sadly the first time you see a Fox in your garden may be the last time you see your Bunny if Bunny is free range and unsupervised.

Some people are prepared to take that risk to allow their Rabbits more space/exercise/'natural' life. It is for each individual to make that judgement I guess. But having seen the result of a Fox attack I could never take that risk. I could not live with the guilt if anything happened as it would be my fault. :cry:

Me too. All too often people say 'oh I have never seen a Fox, there are none round here'. Sadly the first time you see a Fox in your garden may be the last time you see your Bunny if Bunny is free range and unsupervised.

Some people are prepared to take that risk to allow their Rabbits more space/exercise/'natural' life. It is for each individual to make that judgement I guess. But having seen the result of a Fox attack I could never take that risk. I could not live with the guilt if anything happened as it would be my fault. :cry:

This is exactly where I stand too. Completely. Having been and felt responsible for other deaths I will always do anything I can to ensure that I'm not responsible for anymore.

I did last night because it was quite mild and I was in the garden the whole time, not something I plan on doing a lot but I was cleaning a bun out and she sneezes if I so much as put hay in when she is in their

Ours go out in the dark although we try and avoid it but sometimes we just can't avoid it. I think it's cruel not to let them have some time bombing around the garden eating the grass (and my flowers :shock:). They have to be able to have a run around as running about helps their digestive system (I read that on here ages and ages ago; whether it's true I have no idea). Rabbits aren't designed to be cooped up all of the time so even if they only have 10-15 minutes running about, then at least they've been able to. There are foxes in the fields by us but they'd have to clear next door's 6ft fence, run across their garden, clear our 6ft fence, chase the bunny, catch it and scarper before we got to it and considering we're out with the bunnies while they're outside it is highly unlikely this scenario would unfold as it would simply make too much noise as the pheasants in the trees would have a hissy fit and raise the alarm! However, we are fully aware that it might so are very vigilant.

I sometimes let them out in the dark if I can sit out there with them for a bit. The only trouble is that Fudge and the 'outside' buns are all black, so very hard to see them when I want to get them back in!

I wouldn't leave them out on their own as we have quite a few cats in the neighbourhood who are very interested in the buns. Also I once saw a fox on our drive - only once in 4 years - if I hadn't been there at that exact moment I probably still woulnd't have seen one, but I know they're there!

Mine stay out in the dark but I do have an outside light on that I leave on when its dark and make sure they are locked away about 9pm. I do take the risk that there is a possibility that a fox may come one day but I like to give my bunnies their free range time so choose to take that risk. I think its still a risk with foxes when rabbits are contained, I have heard of instances where foxes have managed to break into runs/hutches. I have also heard of rabbits that have died from shock from being contained and a fox trying to get in. Anyway I would be gutted if anything happened to my bunnies with them free ranging but would prefer them to have a more natural shorter life than a confined longer one. Its a totally personal decision and only one you could make.

could you get a small floodlight for the garden? OH bought one home (not that it's gone up yet :oops:) and it's amazing.
I don't let mine out in the dark because it's impossible to see them and sometimes they do play up when I tell them to go home and I have to chase them around.

Do yours have 24 hour access to a decent sized run? If so, I wouldn't worry too much if they don't get much free range time.

We have just got a floodlight for this very reason! I am always there while they're playing out though. :wave:

I wouldn't because I would hate having to try and get them back in the garden in the dark, plus my secruity light doesn't work at the momnet so its even harder. They get supervised free range in daylight on the weekends, I wish I could give them more time in the week but I have to work.

Back