• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Doe is pregnant! i need to transport her while i visist family!

z.arthur

New Kit
My Polish doe is around three weeks pregnant, she has built her nest inside the cage and has left it at that so far.

I am going to Houston to visit my family for the weekend, and this will be for 2 days. The problem im having is that i cant move her cage, its large and cant fit inside of my car. So i was going to put her and the buck i own in seperate transport cages. But it is a 3 hour drive and i was wooried the stress of the ride might hurt the babies, or worse, she has the kits when im in houston and 3 hours from her nesting box!

Im new to rabbits only having mine for around a month and a half. I love them to death and want to do whats best for them and the kits. So id apprecitate some experienced advice. Thank you!:)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It would be worth while reading this and this.

It's not right or fair to move her now. It would be highly distressing and traumatic for her. She needs to stay where she is until after either she is separated from the babies (any which lived), or a week or so after kindling if all the babies die.

You can't move her now, for her own sake. You need to try and find another way to ensure she is looked after. Is there anyone who can pop in and check on her, feed her, water her, top up her hay, etc, while you're away?

Also, I'm presuming she doesn't live with the boy, is that correct?

If she has already built her nest personally I wouldn't move her. The stress could cause her to harm the kits when born which will be in a weeks time. Could they not stay where they were and have a trusted person come in to feed them? If she has them early the person caring for them will need to have a good vet on standby in case anything goes wrong so an experienced bunny person would be best to look out for signs of stuck kits etc.

Can you not put the family visit off for the time being. The rabbit will need you to ensure she has water and food and in case of an emergency. Also if you still have the buck with her when she kindles, he could kill the babies and he will get her pregnant again immediately.

thanks soo much for the help

I just recently moved to this location, so i dont really have anyone to look after them.

I do have them in separate, spacious cages that i built. So the buck isnt a problem.

I will most likely find a friend from school to watch her while i take the buck.

Do yall know how long after a nest is built that i can expect the kits? Sorry i have so many questions

Have you read the links I posted?

Was it an accidental mating or a deliberate mating?

When is she due?

I just recently moved to this location, so i dont really have anyone to look after them.

I do have them in separate, spacious cages that i built. So the buck isnt a problem.

I will most likely find a friend from school to watch her while i take the buck.

Do yall know how long after a nest is built that i can expect the kits? Sorry i have so many questions

30-32 after mating

I assume this must have been an accidental mating as if not what a shame no research was done before deciding to breed Rabbits

I strongly suggest that you read the links Sky-O has given and I also agree that you should definitely not transport the Doe at this stage in gestation. She would probably abort the litter :cry:

Please do look at those links. Breeding Rabbits requires A LOT of responsibility from the care giver. Towards not only the Doe but to the Kits too. Not just when they are babies, but for their future. They will ALL need a home for the next 10+ years.

Yes, the breeding was accidental, i am in FFA for my school and planned on breeding them. But i want planning on it until sometime January. I have them separate but they both got out of their cages around four weeks ago.

I did read the links and they were very helpful. thank you.

My dads going to stay with the rabbits while i go visit my mother. So she will be well taken care of.

Back