• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Heavy/Laboured breathing Ud at the bridge:(

Bumbling

Warren Scout
Noticed Melody my 9 year old REW had quite flared nostrils and breathing heavy yesterday afternoon.

After a trip to 2 vet practices she had an xray which showed no sign of tumours or anything wrong to worry about too much just that her lungs didn't look good from the image but could have been because she moved when the image was taken.

Had metaclopramide inj and metacam inj and baytril to bring home.

This morning her appetite is better and she seems better in herself. Just hoping the meds work but wondered what could be causing a problem with lungs. She has no noisy breathing just an increased resp rate. They checked her teeth and said there were little spurs but nothing to worry about. Any ideas would be great.

Last edited:
Sorry don't really know, but did she have her heart checked out, as well as her lungs for any pneumonia?

Or could she be in pain anywhere?

Same happened to Misty last week, the vet couldn't find anything, temperature didn't indicate pneumomia. You will be pleased to hear she is back to normal so just opening up her airways mmay have done the trick? Hope Yours is ok.

Don't thick there is any fluid on the lungs as she is not making any raspy sounds when breathing. All sounded normal to the vet. On the xray the lungs were not very clear to me. Are normal lungs supposed to show up with white in them on xray or should they show dark colouration as her xray showed white in the lungs???

They said everything looked normal so i would of hoped that they would have spotted a problem with her heart. Stomach and intestines were all normal no blockage. She seems to be acting much more normal today although still breathing heavy. I wonder if the pain relief helped her.

Hoping she gets back to normal as your Misty did.

Had melody helped to the bridge this afternoon.

She had an ultrasound which showed an ovarian tumour which they think spread to the lungs so did the kindest thing I thought I could for her.

Me and her partner Luke will miss her very much

She had an ultrasound which showed an ovarian tumour which they think spread to the lungs so did the kindest thing I thought I could for her.

I am sorry :cry:

I'm so sorry to hear this. You did all you can for her xxx

Thank you.

Had to get a second opinion at another vets. The chap who saw us owned the practice and missed my appointment and then kept telling me to scruff my rabbit to hold her on the table. Was awful.

Thank god she was scanned and dealt with by the small animal vet who knew what she was talking about.

Why are so many vets so bad with bunnies, it's awful. Didn't make the experience any easier.

I'm sorry about Melody :cry: It doesn't help when you have a bad experience with the vet either, when you are already stressed and upset :(

Thanks everyone. We buried her this morning next to her house so she will be close to Luke.

He's eating and drinking ok today thank god. Think he knew melody was at peace now. x

Back