• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vacinations?

Bunnie

Warren Scout
if you buy a bunny from a pet shop or breeder will she already have her vacinations

when u get a dog, hes not aloud on the ground until he has had his vacinations does the same apply to rabbits or can they play on the grass?

They probably won't come with vaccinations, no. Most pet shops and breeders do not vaccinate their baby rabbits. If you rescue a rabbit from a rescue centre they will come vaccinated and neutered too. I would be wary about putting my rabbits out on the grass if they hadn't been vaccinated but then my rabbit lives indoors and I'm very cautious about infectious diseases.

I wouldn't have any bunnies not vacinated outside at all as all the really bad bunny diseases are air-bourne, and they don't actually need to come into contact with an infected bunny to catch something.

if you buy a bunny from a pet shop or breeder will she already have her vacinations

when u get a dog, hes not aloud on the ground until he has had his vacinations does the same apply to rabbits or can they play on the grass?

Definitely won't be vaccinated, breeders and pet shops are not interested in spending out money they don't have to.

I don't let mine out in spring until they've have their vaccinations (or rather I didn't, not so applicable now with the yearly vaccine) but myxi is spread by biting insects and VHD can be brought in on clothes so it's not going to protect them much to be honest.

If you are buying a bunny from a pet shop then they wouldn't be able to go outdoors until the spring now anyway :wave: Would be too cold for them.

Breeder is unlikely to vaccinate - a lot of them will tell new owners that vaccinations are not required, but they are very important.

If you were to adopt a bunny (or 2!) from a rescue, as someone already said, all vaccinations and neutering/spaying will already be done, so no extra cost for you to worry about :)

If you were to adopt a bunny (or 2!) from a rescue, as someone already said, all vaccinations and neutering/spaying will already be done, so no extra cost for you to worry about :)

i'd check that nearer the time, bunnie. some rescues send buns on their way neutered and vaccinated but others don't. you've got plenty of time to ask around if you're not adopting until july. also check the donation they need for their buns - often its very high, in comparison with other ways of acquiring rabbits, to cover the cost of care, neutering etc.

i'd check that nearer the time, bunnie. some rescues send buns on their way neutered and vaccinated but others don't. you've got plenty of time to ask around if you're not adopting until july. also check the donation they need for their buns - often its very high, in comparison with other ways of acquiring rabbits, to cover the cost of care, neutering etc.

I do agree about checking that the rescue neuters/vaccinates as not all do. Generally speaking though, the donations rescues ask for are nowhere near as high as the actual cost if you were to acquire a bunny from a friend/free ad etc (unless you're very lucky to find one that's already neutered/vaccinated from those sort of places). That's without factoring in any other veterinary treatment that may have been necessary when the bunny came into the rescue.

I'm adopting a friend for Alfie and the rescue asks for a donation fee of £50; the cost of vaccinations alone would be £40; spaying is probably somewhere in the region of £75 to £90 (and upwards).

To get back to the OP's question though, I believe that some breeders vaccinate before rehoming but not all do; pet shops are probably far less likely to have vaccinated prior to sale but they would be able to provide a vaccination card if they had done so.

I must admit that I let Alfie out on the grass as soon as I got him (and so before he was vaccinated) but in hindsight that probably wasn't a very wise decision. :oops:

I also let our 2 bunny girls out on the grass in our back garden within hours of bringing them home, unvaccinated. They were fine.

Pet shops/breeders will not routinely vaccinate bunnies they are going to sell as it won't be financially viable for them, unless they then increase their prices which in turn will put off prospective purchasers. That's my opinion anyway.

pet shops dont vacinate, and 'most' breeders wont vaccinate before sale (some do, i make sure all mine have had both before they leave me)

Back