• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

amoxycillin

lucy24

Mama Doe
dont know if thats spelt right:oops: charlie and honey are both on weekly injections starting today, along with probiotic. kate, my new vet was really lovely and said that it might not get rid of the snuffles completely but hopefully we can get the sneezing down to a manageable level. charlies chest was quite bad for the first time so am a little worried-vibes would be appreciated:wave:

charlie is still being a right little piggy though!:lol:they were both quite naughty at the vets. honey kept thumping and charlie nearly hopped all over the computer keyboard when the vet was typing:roll:then decided to hide his head in my arm:love:

Last edited:
worried, need reasurance

oh dear im worried now:( they seem ok- i thought it was ok as long as they didnt have it orally?

Last edited:
Amoxycillin can be given by injection only, NEVER orally. It is a high risk antibiotic as far as gut dysbiosis goes so you will need to be vigilant re any changes in poo output and/or eating habbits. Feeding a diet with optimum crude fibre and minimal carbohydrates is also important. I would also give a probiotic.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

I guess your Vet had her reasons for opting for Amoxycillin over other antibiotics ?

Hope that the treatment helps.

i had to sign a consent form and she said to call her if any change in poos ect.. they have had ongoing problems for 6months or more and other antibiotics have had little or no effect. also as charlies chest was bad she felt something stronger was needed as with rabbit lungs they can get absesses easily if left. they are on a probiotic called protexin-a pinch of it once a day for each bunny. they love there hay and arent on any pellets. i will keep a very close watch.is there anything else i can give at home that will help the ggut stay healthy?

i had to sign a consent form and she said to call her if any change in poos ect.. they have had ongoing problems for 6months or more and other antibiotics have had little or no effect. also as charlies chest was bad she felt something stronger was needed as with rabbit lungs they can get absesses easily if left. they are on a probiotic called protexin-a pinch of it once a day for each bunny. they love there hay and arent on any pellets. i will keep a very close watch.is there anything else i can give at home that will help the ggut stay healthy?

It sounds as though you are doing all the right things :) If you feed them carrots/fruit I'd stop doing so for now as they have a high sugar content. Another thing to avoid when the Rabbit is on a Penicillin type abx

ok thank you :D one more question (sorry) what can i sprinkle the probiotic on? its a powder -would it be ok on a little bit of colliflower?

ok thank you :D one more question (sorry) what can i sprinkle the probiotic on? its a powder -would it be ok on a little bit of colliflower?

Just sprinkle it on any food they would normally have. So if they normally have cauliflower and they are OK with it then yes, you could put it on that :)

Jacks Jane or Sky O could you answer this one please :wave:

If you want to flag up a thread to someone then posting on the thread is not the most ideal way to do it because the person will only see it if they open the thread. You can PM someone to politely ask them to check the thread and answer if they can but remember that a lot of people are exceptionally busy and have a lot of stuff. People will answer if they can, but it's not always possible, so bear that in mind too :)

thank you my minds at rest now :wave:

I can't add anything to what's been said but I started one of mine on Penicillin about a month ago and it was so stressful so I totally feel your pain and angst but hopefully your guys will do fine and the amoxicillin will do the trick :)

Hi Lucy.

Are you seeing Kate Marriot at Kv?

If it is, then you probably know, I use her for all of my own 20 bunnies and a couple of the rescue buns.

We use Amoxycillin injections for a couple of the rabbits here so I can put your mind at rest with regards to this - Kate is very knowledgeable with the use of it and I trust her implicitly.

I give the injections as directed (which in our case is every other day) and do also top up with probiotics just because I like to give the rabbits a bit of help with balancing any possibly effects on change of gut bacteria. I use Protexin powder and/or Pro Fibre pellets in the main as they eat them with gusto and also provide a good source of fibre.

All of ours do fine so please don't worry.

Thank you helen :D yes it was kate -she was really nice despite the buns being wriggly :roll: i think i worry way to much about the buns but this morning they were fine in themselves and have been running round my feet looking for food and cuddles:love: they had their probiotic and poos are still normal. i think sometimes their is too much conflicting info on the net about whats ok and whats not it gets my brain in a tiz! i really appreciate the reassurance :wave:

on another note i have been reading about wilf on your fb page- :love: has made my day reading about his progress

Hi Lucy.

Are you seeing Kate Marriot at Kv?

If it is, then you probably know, I use her for all of my own 20 bunnies and a couple of the rescue buns.

We use Amoxycillin injections for a couple of the rabbits here so I can put your mind at rest with regards to this - Kate is very knowledgeable with the use of it and I trust her implicitly.

I give the injections as directed (which in our case is every other day) and do also top up with probiotics just because I like to give the rabbits a bit of help with balancing any possibly effects on change of gut bacteria. I use Protexin powder and/or Pro Fibre pellets in the main as they eat them with gusto and also provide a good source of fibre.

All of ours do fine so please don't worry.

Back