• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Friends buns

DebbieLouise

Young Bun
My friend has got 2 female bunnies living together, both un-spayed. One is around 4months old and the other is 6months old, shes brought them together and the previous owner said they put the younger one in with her when it was 8weeks and they have always lived happily together. My biggest worry at the moment is the older one has started nesting. It is obviously pregnant :censored: shes not wanting to separate the rabbits though while the older one has her babies, shes been advised by 'pet shops' that it will cause to much stress for the younger one to be on her own and is refusing to remove her into a separate cage close to the other bunny. Im 99% sure that the pregnant rabbit will not appreciate the other rabbit being around while she has babies? her hutch is homemade i think its about 6x6x3 as its 2tier.

Any advice i can give her to get her to take the younger one away?

If they are unspayed they do start nesting and digging even if they aren't pregnant.

Doughnut did this until she was spayed and a month or so after stopped once all the hormones were out of her system.

If they are unspayed they do start nesting and digging even if they aren't pregnant.

Doughnut did this until she was spayed and a month or so after stopped once all the hormones were out of her system.

Its defiantly pregnant, when it lays down you can see the kits moving around and if you rest her tummy on your hand and keep still you can feel them moving, its HUGE! looks like the poor thing is going to pop.

What your friend needs to do urgently is check the non-pregnant bun to see if it is a boy. If it is then he will have to be separated now. If it is a girl then if they they along well it shouldn't be a problem. The danger in a 2-tier hutch if Mum has her nest upstairs is that babies can easily fall down the ramp once they are more mobile so she may have to block it off to ensure babies keep safe.

Back