• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice about ill/incontinent rabbits and smell

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
After your sister tells you your clothes smell of rabbit wee you know you have to do something about it. :?

Grim is not incontinent however his blindness and now loss of balance mean he has trouble finding the litter tray. He is just weeing on the carpet and obviously this makes my room smell which in turn makes my clothes and house smell.

This is my plan if you can avise on how good it is. I'm going to rent a carpet cleaner first. Then I am going to make a large enclosure with puppy pens and put lino down over the carpet. The lino will come slightly up the walls and pen and then I was just going to put lots of hay down and clean regularly. Does that sound okay or is there anything better I can do?

Thanks. :)

How is Grim lately ?

I don't know what to advise. I have a carpet stained in wee too. Although it never smelt, not that we ever noticed. Getting it out and laminated soon.

Lino sounds like a good idea.

Sounds like a good idea. Same thing happened to me when I was bonding the quad and still had carpet, fortunately I already had plans to get rid of it.

I'd definitely treat the stains with neat white vinegar before you use the carpet cleaner.

I've got an incontinent guinea pig at the moment (who I likely won't have for much longer :() and... wow, the smell. :shock:

I think it sounds OK. Gypsy became incontinent when she had EC. Storm noticed her weeing everywhere and decided to copy :roll: their carpet was awful :cry: I had to throw the carpet away as no matter how much I cleaned it it wouldn't stay clean. I have lino and non slip vet bed in the bunny Room now. They wee on the vet bed but I can wash it and wipe the floor clean.

I think it sounds OK. Gypsy became incontinent when she had EC. Storm noticed her weeing everywhere and decided to copy :roll: their carpet was awful :cry: I had to throw the carpet away as no matter how much I cleaned it it wouldn't stay clean. I have lino and non slip vet bed in the bunny Room now. They wee on the vet bed but I can wash it and wipe the floor clean.

Lino is fantastic. It feels much more hygienic because you can mop it. I still have blankets and carpet offcuts because I find they don't like running fast on the lino but those I can either wash or throw and replace cheapy. I got a length of carpet for a tenner which is the perfect size for two 'rugs' in the spare bedroom. I got that over six months ago and so far am still on the first section but if they bond I'll be replacing that. A fiver for six months is pretty good I think.

Smoo is a chewer do I don't want to pay out for proper lino if she will destroy it. In need to replace the carpet if I move out anyway. Smoo and my hamster have destroyed it.

Grim is doing well thanks BYB, I've just been in Manchester for a couple of days and I've missed the pets so much (I'm on the train back now), but at the same time I've realised I'm living on a bit of a tip at home. I kept saying it's okay because Grim's ill but it's really not and it's not fair on the people I live with.

I have two ideas for where I want the pen to be but one means moving the chinchillas. My lovely big desk might have to go though.

Last edited:
I have lino in my room for the bunnies, but then I also put washable rugs and/or vetbed on top. If you just have lino then the pee wouldn't soak up and could end up on buns fur etc. The rugs help to soak up the urine and they can be washed as and when needed.

Smoo is a chewer do I don't want to pay out for proper lino if she will destroy it. In need to replace the carpet if I move out anyway. Smoo and my hamster have destroyed it.

Grim is doing well thanks BYB, I've just been in Manchester for a couple of days and I've missed the pets so much (I'm on the train back now), but at the same time I've realised I'm living on a bit of a tip at home. I kept saying it's okay because Grim's ill but it's really not and it's not fair on the people I live with.

I have two ideas for where I want the pen to be but one means moving the chinchillas. My lovely big desk might have to go though.

Good to hear Grim is doing well. Hope you had a chance to relax in Manchester.

Furniture, carpets, lino and pets. :roll: Mr B took a chunk out of the lino in the bathroom. :roll: I have 2 ruined bedroom carpets, ruined wardrobe doors, some chewed door frames and the skirtings in the other room were chewed so much. Painted over them now, so not noticeable. Best thing I ever did was get the other 2 a summerhouse, they can and have chewed the interior very badly. But they are also so much happier outside.

If you have to replace the carpet eventually, I wouldn't bother with the steam cleaning, from the research I was doing on carpet cleaning, they are unlikely to come out. I tried everything, vinegar, washing up liquid, washing powder, 2 types of carpet cleaner - nothing worked :roll:, but this is orange urine stains on cream/beige carpet. Very noticeable.

See if you get cheap lino cuts on ebay. I always put in distance as 10 miles to see whats on offer.

I'm not cleaning the carpet for the stains... It's for the smell. :mrgreen: It's like drying your clothes over a bucket full of rabbit wee. :p

I'm not cleaning the carpet for the stains... It's for the smell. :mrgreen: It's like drying your clothes over a bucket full of rabbit wee. :p

:mrgreen: Not so nice.

When I was looking, I thought dry cleaning carpets, as opposed to wet steam cleaning might have been better. Had a bad experience with our carpets getting too soaked some years ago, even through the underlay. We didn't do it ourselves, we got a company to clean them. We had to eventually rip one up and have the floor boards renovated. Not bunny related, as they were outside at the time.

Back