• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Little Oscar nail problem-help!.

We did the nail trim on all four rabbits about 3 days ago (with much stress and angst, for all buns and us).

Managed to cut Oscars nails But did think at the time I had missed one. Rich has just said he has licked that foot about 4 times in 30mins. So we picked him up to have a look......his nail (the one I missed, we now know) has bent over its short but lying flush against his fur, I can see the snap in it, slight line of blood. There is no way i could get the clippers and cut it, it would be so painful for him, and I would have to cut the quick.

Vets tomorrow, should we bathe with salt water?. I feel awful, I really thought id missed one, but with the whole ordeal didnt go back to make sure.

I was not online when you posted this. You may find that Oscar has licked the lose nail off overnight. If not and you cant remove it yourself the Vet will be able to. Good luck and dont feel too bad about it, I have had some mishaps when cutting Bunny nails myself over the years. Accidents happen however careful we are.

I was not online when you posted this. You may find that Oscar has licked the lose nail off overnight. If not and you cant remove it yourself the Vet will be able to. Good luck and dont feel too bad about it, I have had some mishaps when cutting Bunny nails myself over the years. Accidents happen however careful we are.

:wave:. Rich is back soon so will have a look to see if he has managed to lick it off. I have noticed today that he keeps raising his foot on and off the ground (like he is relieving the pressure, if that makes sense). He is totally normal in himself though. If he has managed to lick it off do you think we should still go to the vets?.

Thank-you, I feel awful.

:wave:. Rich is back soon so will have a look to see if he has managed to lick it off. I have noticed today that he keeps raising his foot on and off the ground (like he is relieving the pressure, if that makes sense). He is totally normal in himself though. If he has managed to lick it off do you think we should still go to the vets?.

Thank-you, I feel awful.

If the toe itself is not swollen and the skin around the lose nail does not look inflamed then it should sort itself out, the nail should regrow quite quickly. He may benefit from some Metacam as it is obviously a bit sore. So I'd give the Vet a call to explain what happened and get the Vet's 'OK' to administer some Metacam.

If the toe itself is not swollen and the skin around the lose nail does not look inflamed then it should sort itself out, the nail should regrow quite quickly. He may benefit from some Metacam as it is obviously a bit sore. So I'd give the Vet a call to explain what happened and get the Vet's 'OK' to administer some Metacam.

Thank you again Jane. Rich is home now, going to have a look and call the vets about metacam. x

Back