• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tube heaters

susieb1

Mama Doe
After reading some threads on here the other day, my OH has put one of these tube heaters in our outdoor room for the bunnies. For those who already use them, can I ask when you put them on and for how long you leave them on. I'm only looking to use it when it gets really cold but I don't know if leaving it on all night is too much. Thank you for any responses. :wave:

We didn't use ours yet and just got it this year now they are in a shed but I was planning on putting it on a timer so it goes on and off. We also bought a min/max thermometer so we monitor the temperature in the shed. I was planning on using it only if it's really cold i.e. -5 at night. That's when we used to put snugglesafes in the hutch.

I have them on in our house rabbit boarding accommodation and keep them on full time to keep the housing ambient (low house temp).

I think timers are a good idea for outdoor bunnies who are just being given a helping hand overnight when it's cold or when it's very bitter in deepest winter.

I only use them when it's going to be several degrees below freezing overnight and then I switch them on at teatime and switch off when I give the buns breakfast the following morning. However, if we're having a bad sub-zero patch and it's remaining below freezing during the day, I leave the heaters on 24/7 so as to avoid frozen water bowls.

Flora now has an electric heat pad to sit on which I leave on 24/7, even if it's not that cold as I feel it helps ease any pain in her arthritic joints.

I put Daisy and Digby's on at teatime and turn it off in the morning, if it's less than -1 or 2. If it's really freezing all day i leave it on all day. It's definitely the best thing i've bought them , Daisy sits in the heated part quite often :D

we have an oil filled radiator in our bunny house and its controlled by a plug in thermostatic switch, like a timer but theromstat, sold at BQ maplins ect ( £10 ). The house is also insulated between the double skin walls .
most cold comes up through the floors so you can put a layer of polystyrene at £8 a sheet on top of your floor and then a dummy plywood floor on top of that, makes a huge difference

I don't have electricity in my shed. So I'm looking for a tubular heater but a solar powered one... I already have soar powered lights for the outside and inside. I just need heat now when it gets to a low temperature... Can someone help?

I have an oil filled radiator in my pets shed as well. I have guinea pigs in there so I do keep it on 24/7 but it has a thermostat to keep it at regular temps. If I only had the bunnies I would probably only use it when it drops to freezing, in order to keep their water not frozen. But with piggies I have to keep it on. I do think the bunnies like it though as they are always laying next to it sleeping! :) :lol:

Back