• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raspy breathing

kashiandmol

Young Bun
Hi all

So my eldest (kashi, 5 years old, netherland dwarf) has, over the last couple of days, become quite noisy in his breathing. He isn't struggling to breathe, there's no discharge from his eyes or nose and isn't off his food, water, treats and is still running around like he always does. I've got him booked in at the vets next week (unfortunately can't get him in any sooner than Thursday due to no money, noone to lend me any, work (they are not understanding at all) and the vet that he always sees not being available (he's very relaxed with his usual vet and don't want to stress him any more than necessary)). Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what this may be. He lives with 2 other rabbit (2 females, 1 lionhead (4 years), 1 lionhead lop (almost 1 year)) and neither of these are having any problems (Molly always grunts though, she's a moody rabbit lol). I did also notice that he has lost some fur under his chin and the skin is a little dry, however it is not red or scabby and doesn't seem to be bothering him. I have been tempted to separate him from the girls and add towels and even more hay and straw than usual to our indoor cage but I never like to separate them, plus the girls are always around him keeping him warm so I'm thinking it may do more harm than good. All 3 of the buns are indoor rabbits and always have been. I know this will probably sound bad, but I'm not overly worried about him because he's not struggling to breathe and isn't off his food or water. I'm just looking for a bit of advice until he goes to the vet.

Up until about 6 months ago he had lived with rabbit syphillis for 2 years (this was due to misdiagnosis by numerous vets, not by me not trying to get him help) and thankfully this cleared up after 4 penicillin injections (there were no complications while he was having these) and I'm now wondering if maybe it has something to do with this but he doesn't have the symptoms of a reoccurence.

So yeah, any help would be greatly appreciated but please keep in mind that I can not take him to the vets until Thursday due to the reasons mentioned above.

Thanks in advance =)

Chrissy and Kakashi

Raspy breathing could be caused by a respiratory tract infection even if there is no nasal discharge. Dental problems can also cause noisy breathing if tooth root elongation is an issue. The tooth roots can penetrate the nasal passages. The sore on his chin may be due to excess salivation, another sign of Dental problems.

Given his history of Syphillis a flare up of that is another possibility.

If the raspiness is coming from lower down in his respiratory tract that could indicate a potentially serious lung problem. In all honesty I really would not wait almost another week before consulting a Vet. A mild RTI can resolve quickly if treated promptly. If left untreated for a few days the outcome can be very different indeed.

I agree with Jane that I would be taking him to the vet asap as it could turn into something more nasty. Hopefully it will just be a mild rti which can be treated quickly and effectively.

Back