• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone know why bunnies decide to sit in the coldest part of their set up?

jazxo

Mama Doe
I know a lot of peoples rabbits sit/sleep in the unsheltered or most open parts of their enclosures. Does anyone know why or is it just them being bunnies?

Last edited:
Sonic does! He sits with his fur sticking out of the bars of his hutch through wind, rain, snow, sleet and hail :roll:
Last year we had snow, i went out to go check on him and he was half normal coloured and half white! :lol:

I think it's just bunnies being bunnies. I'd like to think that they have enough common sense to move if they got uncomfortable...

Sonic does! He sits with his fur sticking out of the bars of his hutch through wind, rain, snow, sleet and hail :roll:
Last year we had snow, i went out to go check on him and he was half normal coloured and half white! :lol:

I think it's just bunnies being bunnies. I'd like to think that they have enough common sense to move if they got uncomfortable...

:lol: They're crazy! I go to so much effort to make her hutch cosy but she still insists on sitting out in the cold!

In my experience, they like to sit where they can see all around them for predators. Whereas we would hunker down in a cozy corner, the bunnies have an inbuilt need to look out for danger.

Floppy always sits in the coldest, wettest part of the run. Just being awkward I guess. It has to be said that it was pouring the other day and he did finally concede and went into the dry part of the run. He clearly knows his lmits!,!

Fee xxx

In my experience, they like to sit where they can see all around them for predators. Whereas we would hunker down in a cozy corner, the bunnies have an inbuilt need to look out for danger.

See I've thought of that but Pippin sits in the corner facing her run and hutch so she can't see anything but the inside of her run so I'm not sure that's the case with her. Great point though.

Tell me about it! :roll:

One of mine is out 24/7. Even during the snow he rarely took shelter. He refuses to be confined and is nearly 5 now.

See I've thought of that but Pippin sits in the corner facing her run and hutch so she can't see anything but the inside of her run so I'm not sure that's the case with her. Great point though.

Same, but Sonic often sleeps there. With his paws sticking out of the hutch...

(Awful photo! It was super zoomed in and I had no concept of good photography then :lol:)

P1040085_zps2e3ef48a.jpg

I don't think he's particularly bothered about predators!

Back