• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Genuinely worried about my bunny!

Okay, so around 3 weeks ago I rescued (when I say rescued, I got her for free off someone as she was fighting with her sister) a 16 week old bunny. I am clueless to her breed unfortunately, I will post pictures to see what you think though!

Anyway, I took her to "pets at home" got her all the products she needed.

She's currently living indoors in a huge cage (1.5+ metres long, 3/4 foot wide?), she has chew toys, hay, bedding, water, food, anything.

She has been eating a whole cat-size bowl of food twice a day, and for some reason has been drinking a 600ml bottle of water twice a day, i'm constantly filling it up! When she drinks, she drinks for around 20 minutes at a time also - non-stop.

I wasn't too worried, but now I am beginning to wonder if this is normal? Her respiratory rate and heart rate is normal too. She gets let out for up to an hour for a run around, but sleeps a fair bit too.

Behaviour wise she's quite good, doesn't like being picked up but loves to be stroked. Although she is pushing her bedding around the cage, just looking like she's digging. Then'll she'll stop and it seems like she's licking the bedding.

Any idea's if this is normal or I sohlud be concerned?

EXTRA: I have weighed her, when I got her she was 3lb 70z, and is now 3lb 8oz, so not much different.

Thank you all! :D :wave:

Do you have a picture of the cage? Are you sure it is 3/4ft wide, that's very unusual.

It sounds like she is a bit bored, really she should be getting at least 8 hours out of the cage to run about.

She is drinking an abnormal amount, my vet suggested that this can be due to health problems, but can also be behavioural if the rabbit is bored and doesnt have much space - a stereotypy. I'd give her a bowl, as she also sounds frustrated by the fact that she cant get more than a drip at a time out of the bottle. Large heavy ceramic dog bowls are good - as they are hard to knock over.

Is she eating much hay? Hay should make up between 80% and 95% of their diet, it is extremely important for their gut and dental health, and also helps keep them occupied throughout the day and reduce boredom. If she doesnt seem to eat much, you can try lots of different types. She should be eating a pile roughly the same size as herself or bigger a day.

You'll want to start reducing her pellets slowly as well - adult rabbits only need to have about a tablespoon of pellets per kg of body weight a day. But remember to do this slowly, as she'll need to eat the hay instead to keep up her weight.

The digging is normal, that is a natural behaviour, although female rabbits do tend to dig more and be more destructive before they are neutered, or if they are bored.

Hello there. I have just read your message and I don't want to scare you, but this is not normal behaviour at all and you must get her to a vet asap. It could be diabetes, kidney failure or she could be pregnant, but you must get her seen to find out what is going on. I noticed that you are in Southampton, and there is an excellent rescue centre there, Southampton Rabbit Rescue, who would be able to help you if there is not a vet open today that you can get too. I recently rehomed one of their 'special needs' bunnies, which is how I know Sue, and she is a veterinary nurse. Their number is 02381 781130. They will probably not be available to answer your call, but please leave a message and I can assure you Sue will get back to you later. Good luck with your bunny. If she is pregnant, Sue will be able to help and advise you, and maybe help with finding homes for the babies when they are old enough.

Hello there. I have just read your message and I don't want to scare you, but this is not normal behaviour at all and you must get her to a vet asap. It could be diabetes, kidney failure or she could be pregnant, but you must get her seen to find out what is going on. I noticed that you are in Southampton, and there is an excellent rescue centre there, Southampton Rabbit Rescue, who would be able to help you if there is not a vet open today that you can get too. I recently rehomed one of their 'special needs' bunnies, which is how I know Sue, and she is a veterinary nurse. Their number is 02381 781130. They will probably not be available to answer your call, but please leave a message and I can assure you Sue will get back to you later. Good luck with your bunny. If she is pregnant, Sue will be able to help and advise you, and maybe help with finding homes for the babies when they are old enough.

Whilst I agree the excessive drinking does need to be checked by a vet, I think it will be fine waiting till Monday, seeing as there are no other symptoms. It sounded to me like the bunny has seen a vet recently, as the OP says her respitory and heart rate are normal. I'd just get it checked early next week, as long as drinking that much is 'normal' for her, and if everything is fine you can get her vaccination done at the same time.

If she's eating that much pellets she will drink quite a bit. Take a pellet, drop it in some water and see how much it sucks up! Mine ALWAYS go and have a drink after eating pellets.

If she's eating that much pellets she will drink quite a bit. Take a pellet, drop it in some water and see how much it sucks up! Mine ALWAYS go and have a drink after eating pellets.

exactly what i was going to say! not that i'm an expert but that's a lot of pellets, even for a very young bunny.

Back